General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Shake and Shimmy, cv axle or more

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 01:00 PM

Shake and Shimmy, cv axle or more

07 hhr 2.2 auto.

So ive got the search feature up and im reading through a lot of the threads. The car shakes and makes noises at the front passenger side. As the wheel turns you can hear it (not a hum but a grind), faster you go the faster the noise etc...

What ive checked:
Inner/Outer Tie Rods - Good.
Ball Joints - Good.
Struts - Good.
Wheel Hub - Good.
Wheel still has it weights.

Now When i rotate the tire in Neutral, no noise from CV axle, if I turn tire backwards in Neutral, the CV axle makes a loud CLICK, plus if you grab the shaft near the inner joint there is a lot of play... So im assuming its the CV axle.

I also read that the car shaking could be caused by bad motor mount, so with hood up, wife put it in gear and pressed the gas, the motor does raise over an 1 at the motor mount and back down when she puts it back in Park. Ill have to check (when its not 18* and snowing) a little more to see if the rubber is crushed.

Did I miss anything or should I check anything else?
Old 03-08-2018, 01:13 PM
Technical Moderator

What testing have you done to be sure the hub is good? That's what it sounds like to me.

New axle cost less than $80, easy to do.

The motor mount has a gel filling, that usually leaks out after time and elements.

What about brake wear indicators?
Old 03-08-2018, 03:50 PM
Administrator

The upper engine mount if mushy the bolt head for the serpentine belt tensioner, should be visible straight in the slot on the passenger side inner fender.

Like this, if it’s lower down, the mount is toast!

I changed out both axles last spring , still has the shake, but not a grinding noise. So it’s possible the axle or hub.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:36 AM

Brake rotor and calipers are newish and seem to be evenly worn and no warp.

With the hub, i jacked the car up, grabbed it at 9/3 then 12/6 there was no play, so assuming it is good as well since it is newish.

tie rods, when i turn the wheel and yank on the wheel i see no play in the tie rods, also grabbed the tie rods and tried to move them.

yall walked me through strut testing on the other forum, those turned out ok as well with even squat. i have found local store that carries the axle for 60-70 new, not reman, no one locally carries a reman.

i need to check he motor mount better, i know when on the ground if you try to rotate the tire, the whole motor moves, not sure if it is supposed to or even have some play or not (ive never ran into mount issues, so not sure what to look for)
Old 03-09-2018, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by SwaintaN
07 hhr 2.2 auto.
The car shakes and makes noises at the front passenger side. As the wheel turns you can hear it (not a hum but a grind), faster you go the faster the noise etc..
How many miles?
Just look at the parts that rotate, axle and hub.
A worn/bad outer CV joint will make a clicking noise when turning. Is the boot ripped/torn open?
A hub will make a grinding noise.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:08 AM
Technical Moderator

The price difference between new and reman is minimal.

The end play tolerance for hubs is .015 inch. Not enough to feel.

The inner joint of the axles is a slip joint, it is designed to have significant play.

The brake wear indicators can sound like a grind. They are those spring looking things that hang onto one end of the inner pad. They often get installed wrong, because they usuall come with no directions.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:46 AM

The car has 220k miles, the weird part with it all is its louder and felt more when just a driver in the car. But add passengers and you barely feel it or hear it.

no tear in in any of the cv boots, and the only part with play is the inner slip joint, thanks for pointing that one out donbrew, i learn new things every day.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Have you looked thru the oblong hole at that bolt head?
Old 03-09-2018, 03:50 PM

not yet, work life and family life (daughter having some serious girl bully issues at school) im gonna get out there in a few mins and look at the hole.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
The upper engine mount if mushy the bolt head for the serpentine belt tensioner, should be visible straight in the slot on the passenger side inner fender.

Like this, if it’s lower down, the mount is toast!

I changed out both axles last spring , still has the shake, but not a grinding noise. So it’s possible the axle or hub.
hey OldBlue, this is what it looks like.

Quick Reply: Shake and Shimmy, cv axle or more