Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   The shifter in the HHR should be on the column. (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/shifter-hhr-should-column-56495/)

Silverfox 03-09-2016 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 798633)
I did qualify with "these days".

Many other cars have moved onto the dash console, even cheaper.

If you read the publicity blurb for Pursuit Vehicles, they cite shifter on column. Like the new Chevy Police car.

Don,

Have you driven a Late model Dodge or Chrysler Van.
The have the shifter on the dash but have improperly placed it to far from the driver. Useable but very inconvenient.
A major mistake OMHO.
Some of the others are not to bad but not my cup of tea for everyday in town driving.

SF

Oldblue 03-09-2016 11:40 AM

It's all a moot point, unless you wanted to fab a column or perhaps a button/ knob shifter, like the Dart or 200 from FCA

donbrew 03-09-2016 01:07 PM

I personally like push buttons on the dash. Loved those TorqueFlite MoPars.

solman98 03-09-2016 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 798648)
I personally like push buttons on the dash. Loved those TorqueFlite MoPars.

First car I ever drove was a '57 Mercury with the push button.

JSK 03-09-2016 11:25 PM

Gotta love those Mix-O-Matic shifters in the Mopars - a built-in theft deterrent these days (thief scratching his head wondering how to make the car move).

While we're waxing poetic - how about a MANUAL shifter on that column, eh? ...my '64 Dart had the 3-on-the-tree and I loved it. (TWO of my 64 Darts - the other had a Mix-O-Matic)

It might not be the best shifter-choice for an SS, but surely they could do a 5-speed column shift, no? ...for the other models? - surely not a Cost-Effective design, by any means.

(does ANY car/truck manufacturer still make the manual column-shifter?)

solman98 03-10-2016 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by JSK (Post 798689)
Gotta love those Mix-O-Matic shifters in the Mopars - a built-in theft deterrent these days (thief scratching his head wondering how to make the car move).

While we're waxing poetic - how about a MANUAL shifter on that column, eh? ...my '64 Dart had the 3-on-the-tree and I loved it. (TWO of my 64 Darts - the other had a Mix-O-Matic)

It might not be the best shifter-choice for an SS, but surely they could do a 5-speed column shift, no? ...for the other models? - surely not a Cost-Effective design, by any means.

My first trip to Korea (1994), I found what we called a "bongo" truck had a 5 speed column shift. Hardly anyone could drive it. But few of us had driven 3 on the tree before..:lol: They were usually Hyundai or Daewoo trucks. Had little 12" dual's on the back.

donbrew 03-10-2016 08:14 AM

I had a Scamp with a 3 on the floor!

bugo 03-11-2016 07:13 PM

The last American truck to offer a 3 speed on the column was the 1987 Chevrolet half ton pickup.

The only postwar American vehicle that I know of that offered a 4 speed on the column was the Ford Econoline/Falcon Van from the early 1960s. Some Japanese trucks come with a 5 speed on the column.

As far as manual shifters go, yes, the floor is the best place for them. Column shifters are a lot of fun partially because of the novelty of having something that 99.9% of cars on the road don't have but if you're speed shifting, a floor shift is the way to go.

bugo 03-11-2016 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by solman98 (Post 798651)
First car I ever drove was a '57 Mercury with the push button.

Tell me more about it. I'm obsessed with the '57 and '58 Mercury (and the '57 Monarch), especially the Turnpike Cruiser. I dream of a '58 Turnpike Cruiser with every available option and the Super Marauder 400 HP 430 MEL V8 engine with 3 2bbl carburetors.

Bonez 01-17-2021 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 798625)
Think about it. Front wheel drive vs rear wheel drive. What are most column shifted cars ?
From a design standpoint, the console shifter was probably easier and more cost effective for most front wheel drives.

FWD shift by a cable where RWD shift by linkages, completely different setups and agree with whats more practical for them. My dad used to convert his column shift 3 on the tree to floor shifter and thats another different setup in itself. I myself like the column shifter on automatics and love a good 5 speed manual on the floor.