Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   Silicone grease on weather seals (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/silicone-grease-weather-seals-9286/)

Lone Ranger 07-14-2007 09:09 AM

Silicone grease on weather seals

I put some silicone gease on the weather seals. It makes the rubber around the door windows nice and black, removes the grayish look. Went ahead and did all the remaining seals, even the hood seal.

This is recommended as part of the maintenance regimen as it is good for the rubber seals.

courthousedeb 07-14-2007 10:08 AM

Very good tip Lone Ranger. At the moment, I'm using Mother's Back To Black.

HillsdaleHHR 07-14-2007 10:11 AM

I've heard the recommendation of doing this to your car as well and Black Knight could really use it. Is using a product like Back to Black as beneficial as the silicone grease or is it just a product to make it look good?!?

courthousedeb 07-14-2007 10:24 AM

Hills...in my opinion...it's all about looking good. Haven't noticed any other benefit...:lol:

HillsdaleHHR 07-14-2007 10:25 AM

Yeah, but doesn't the silicone grease actually keep the rubber from drying out or something. Does the Back to Black have the same benefit or is it even worth worrying about :lol:

mizzouHHR 07-14-2007 11:40 AM

From the back of a bottle of Back To Black

"When used as directed, Back To Black removes oxidation, ground in dirt, wax residue and surface film. Treated surfaces will look new again and be protected against further oxidation or deterioration caused by sun, smog, ozone, water chemicals and airborne contaminants."

Not sure it answers the question, but it sounds to me like it would at least help keep the seals moist. Probably not as well as silicone grease, but better than nothing. I use Back To Black also, but only on exterior trim, like the black pieces around the side glass, the black portion of the side mirrors, the running board pads, rear bumper pad, and the black part of the front bumper.

HillsdaleHHR 07-14-2007 12:38 PM

Thanks mizzou :thumb: :thumb:

Lone Ranger 07-14-2007 01:04 PM

Page 373 of the HHR Owner's Manual:

Weatherstrips

Silicone grease on weatherstrips will make them
last longer, seal better, and not stick or squeak.
Apply silicone grease with a clean cloth. During
very cold, damp weather frequent application may
be required. See Recommended Fluids and
Lubricants on page 403.

:thumb:

I just used some out of a tube I had laying around that I use during spark plug changes.

CrashMan82 07-14-2007 03:31 PM

Silicone yes but never vasaline, vasaline is petrolium based and will break down your weatherstrips... they'll look good for a few days then they'll be in worse shape then they were before.

Silicone grease/lube is like leather conditioner... really helps keeps it looking good and working best for years.

nfboy 07-14-2007 03:40 PM

Dealership applies silicone grease to mine when I have the seasonal maintenance carried out. Last time however they went to hell with it and I got it on my clothes and hands. Made sure to mention that when I completed the service satisfaction survey.....