General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Sleeping in an HHR.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Banned

Sleeping in an HHR.

Im sure this has been done many times before, like a van in the good old days..does anyone make a mattress or bed mat to fit the rear section of the HHR? I dont want to call an HHR a mini van...its way to cool for that but it seems ideal for weekend camping trips a nice warm/cool dry place to sleep.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Drifter.
Im sure this has been done many times before, like a van in the good old days..does anyone make a mattress or bed mat to fit the rear section of the HHR? I dont want to call an HHR a mini van...its way to cool for that but it seems ideal for weekend camping trips a nice warm/cool dry place to sleep.
I've thought about this before too. I doubt if anyone makes a mattress specifically for the HHR, but maybe you could use an air mattress. Or maybe you could use a really, really small bed mattress (but I'm not sure if there's any out there that would be that small). If I were going to do it myself, I'd just use a sleeping bag and cover the floor with a couple blankets, but that's just me. I've never done it before, but I've laid down in the back of my HHR with the seats folded down just to see what it would be like. I'm 5'7" and I fit in there OK, but I'm thinking a person over 6' might be uncomfortable.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:11 PM

i have thought about this. i am in a vintage scooter club and i was thinking about sleeping in my HHR during camping rallies. if i can find an inflatable mattress of the right dimensions, i think it could work out.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:36 PM

I'm 5'8" and I tried it and can fit.
I'd been driving over 12 hours and was jacked up on NOS drink so I couldn't sleep but I fit.
I'd like to get an air mattress for it too.

I slept in my 90 Eagle Talon for weeks on my cross country/Grand Canyon trips and I think the air mattress/HHR would be slightly more comfortable
Old 07-12-2010, 01:38 PM

I think a twin mattress will be too big. See if you can find a mattress for a crib. They are smaller (3*4.5 or 5 I think) and will easily fit in the back of an HHR. They are pretty easy to come by too. Your feet would hang off the end, but it's worth a shot. Otherwise, I'd go with a sleeping bag and pillow(s).

Decided to Google the crib mattress dimensions:
the standard measurements of 51 5/8 inches long, 27 ¼ inches wide, and no more than 6 inches deep.

A couple of these should fit side by side, even if they are wedged in.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:21 PM

I can put down my back and front passanger seat and put an outdoor lounge chair cushion down and streach out with no problem. And I am 6ft.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:31 PM

I would say air mattress all the way, plug it into the outlet right in the console and let it fill and conform to the entire back end...
Old 07-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Founding Member

When I did my 7,200 mile trek across the USA back in 2006, I slept in my HHR most nights during the 9 day journey. I used one of the tri-fold out mats that I had bought from K-Mart. It folded and unfolded quite nicely and made for a comfy nights sleep.
My local Costco warehouse has a nice big pad right now for about $48. (I did not see it listed on their web site right now though)
One can also use a futon pad as well.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
When I did my 7,200 mile trek across the USA back in 2006, I slept in my HHR most nights during the 9 day journey. I used one of the tri-fold out mats that I had bought from K-Mart. It folded and unfolded quite nicely and made for a comfy nights sleep.
My local Costco warehouse has a nice big pad right now for about $48. (I did not see it listed on their web site right now though)
One can also use a futon pad as well.
Using a futon pad isn't a bad idea, I never thought of that. I was racking my brain before trying to think of what would work.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:07 PM

It'll be hot trying to sleep with it all buttoned up.

Anyone have a solution to keep the windows open and the skeeters out?

Some kind of netting with sticky tape or...?

It would be bi+chin' if someone made pop-in/pop-out screens for our car windows :twothumbs

Quick Reply: Sleeping in an HHR.