General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Sleeping in an HHR.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:08 PM

I am all about 2 day camping and driving to random places. I have a 1 man tent that sets up perfect. Otherwise, I just throw a blanket down.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mowgli
It'll be hot trying to sleep with it all buttoned up.

Anyone have a solution to keep the windows open and the skeeters out?

Some kind of netting with sticky tape or...?

It would be bi+chin' if someone made pop-in/pop-out screens for our car windows :twothumbs
They have those solar powered ventilation fans now that sit at the top of the window, they could work. If it doesnt have a screen over the opening it would be an easy modification.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:37 PM

It'll be hot trying to sleep with it all buttoned up.

Anyone have a solution to keep the windows open and the skeeters out?

Some kind of netting with sticky tape or...?

It would be bi+chin' if someone made pop-in/pop-out screens for our car windows :twothumbs
You could leave the car idling overnight with the air conditioning on. I heard somewhere that the average car uses 0.15 gallons of gas per hour when it's idling. So, I figure that with the air conditioning on, let's say the HHR uses 0.25 gallons of gas per hour (since the air conditioner increases fuel consumption). So, if a gallon of gas is, on average, about $3.00/gallon, then 0.25 gal. X $3.00 = $0.75. So it costs $0.75 per hour. So $0.75 X 8 hours of sleep = $6.00. So it would cost $6 to idle your HHR overnight. So if it was a hot summer night, that's what I would do personally. I'm more of an "air conditioning person" though anyway. If you think about, a lot of truck drivers sleep with their trucks running in the winter with the heat on full blast. I think it would be hard to fall asleep with the big diesel engine rumbling and vibrating the truck. In contrast, the HHR's engine runs so smooth and is pretty quiet, so it would just be like a humming noise in the background. But that's just me though, I know not everyone would want to do that.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
I fit in mine on the diagonal.. Yes I tried it... Never know with my lil woman when I'll be in the doghouse.. & No windows, makes it nice & private..

Just grab my sleeping bag & pillow..And nitey-nite..
Well, I guess your username fits your HHR perfectly then. The panels are probably a lot nicer to sleep in.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by goetylsd
Well, I guess your username fits your HHR perfectly then. The panels are probably a lot nicer to sleep in.
I guess, I was gonna use the name "Motel 6", but that was taken..
Old 07-13-2010, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by goetylsd
You could leave the car idling overnight with the air conditioning on.
So $0.75 X 8 hours of sleep = $6.00. So it would cost $6 to idle your HHR overnight.
That's a good idea if it's hot enough to make it worthwhile.

I'm not sure that idling a gas engine that long would be good for it though.

I read in an owner's manual from one of my cars that it's not and it recommended tapping the gas every 5 minutes or so.

I like the screens idea - "up with the sun, gone with the wind..." "Out to the road, out 'neath the stars, feelin' the breeze, passin' the cars..."
Old 07-13-2010, 01:05 AM

That's a good idea if it's hot enough to make it worthwhile.

I read in an owner's manual from one of my cars that it's not and it recommended tapping the gas every 5 minutes or so.

I like the screens idea - "up with the sun, gone with the wind..." "Out to the road, out 'neath the stars, feelin' the breeze, passin' the cars..."
I was wondering the same thing at first, so I did a search. This is what I found: http://autorepair.about.com/b/2009/0...r-your-car.htm There are mixed opinions about it though. Some people say its bad, some people say it isn't harmful at all. I think considering how modern engines have gotten lately, it probably wouldn't hurt the engin, at least if you only did it every now and then, not excessively. But I'm not a mechanic either.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:12 AM

Maybe ChevyMgr could answer this for us. He seems to be very knowledgeable about cars and mechanical questions like this.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:13 AM

Excellent for sleeping in in cool weather. Slept down to -21C - (Grande Prairie, AB 2009-12-01/02. The HHR Panel is a fuel efficient RV.

Use about three inch foamy. Panel is great because it is private especially when the windows frost or fog up.

Haven't had to deal with mossies yet but have a yard of nylon mesh to hang over the window.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:25 AM
Banned

Marzipan, thats a good idea some double sided sticky tape on the back of screen, cut to fit the window size you want and instant bug proofing.

Sleeper, it sounds like your HHR is the doghouse.....

I have left my gas truck idling for hours went traveling and needing a few hours rest. I always try to park with the wind blowing the exhaust away from the truck and i leave 2 windows open an inch or so to keep the air moving inside in case the exhaust fumes find a way inside. It uses more gas than you would think. A 4 cyl sould be alot better in the fuel consumption at idle.

Quick Reply: Sleeping in an HHR.