General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Buying a high mileage 06? Potential problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 06:50 AM

Buying a high mileage 06? Potential problems?

I found a 2006 HHR base model (only the essential options, no sunroof, but power windows, cruise, AC..etc) last night for the low end of the price spectrum for that year. Private sale.

It's relatively high mileage (nearly 170,000 Kilometers, or 105,000 Miles for the non metric amongst us) but is original owner and has been meticulously maintained, mostly by the dealer. All the receipts to prove it are filed away in a folder in the vehicle, so there's no question there. The mileage was racked up mostly highway by the sounds of it - they are an older retired couple who have traveled extensively with it.

The test drive went well. Started easily, no signs of any strange noises, exhaust leaks, etc etc from under the hood when cold started. It does have a few of the typical "rattles" in the front end that I read about here - struts, or sway bar links? The front end seemed tight otherwise.

Transmission shifts well. No slippage, no harsh shifts...just behaves like it should. (It's the auto, BTW)

Looks like all it might need to certify is 2 new front tires...unless the front end rattles turn out to be something bigger, but the owner has offered to help cover any surprises during the certification if it goes beyond a few hundred dollars. I'm very mechanically inclined (Just rebuilt my 6.5L Diesel this spring) so short of anything major that requires a shop or special equipment, I'm capable of doing most repairs myself.

So...overall thoughts? Is this a vehicle which, given it's mileage, is on the ragged edge of still being healthy? We would probably keep it at least 2 or 3 years and it would be the daily driver for the wife, so it needs to be reliable..and I don't want to buy something that is going to start "falling apart" in 12 or 18 months.

She has a short commute every day, but it would also be a family hauler for us..and we do travel distances occasionally - headed to NYC for a cruise in December, for starts.

Thanks all.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:56 AM

Main things that go wrong with 06s. WHEEL BEARINGS both front ones. Sway bar end links go bad and clunk over bumps, and so do front strut mounts.

The auto trans fluid I'm sure is in need of a filter change if it hasn't been done before.

Most rotors available for the HHRs are VERY cheap, and will warp if an impact is used to install the rims.

That are the main problems with HHRs. Normally wheel bearings, strut mounts, and sway bar end links fail about every 40-50,000 miles. EVERYTHING else seems rock solid, and I'm not an "easy" driver on my 06 HHR.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:06 AM

I've owned my 06 since new. Brakes have been my biggest issue since 47K miles. But even that isn't a big deal on the HHR. I've already got the parts to upgrade to the SS size rotors when I do the brakes again. Since this is an 06, the early on issue probably have been taken care of, AC growl was one of those. I replaced my hubs less than 10K miles ago at the "recommendation" of others that said this "could" be an issue with the front end noise. It wasn't.... I have the usual noise over bumps, more in cold weather. Struts are going to be done soon, probably late winter, early spring. I've checked the end links and everything everytime I have the front wheels off, all seems to have no play in them.

On a sad note, I did get a flashing CEL yesterday, it's in the shop today, still waiting on the results. For the most part, the HHR isn't a money hog by any means. They have their quirks, rear brake adjustment is one of the bigger things. If it drives well now, I'd say you should be in good shape.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:10 AM

I'd buy it. My first one I bought with 125,000. And just traded it in on the SS that had around 105,500.

High miles today is not as big a deal as it was in the past. Look at some of the posts on here and no real problems with HHR's with 200,000+ miles. Like the above poster said, the few things that go wrong are cheap and easy fixes anyways.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:32 AM

Thanks guys...I did read about the front brake issues...but rotors are cheap and can be replaced in no time...so if into through a set a year, meh. (I get wholesale pricing, rotors often in the <$20/each category for these sorts of vehicles).

What's involved in the sway bar link repair, parts and labor wise? I doubt the clunk would irritate my wife, but it will me...and it's likely to be a safety inspection issue I'm guessing.

My main concerns are engine and tranny longevity.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:36 AM

Forgot the second part - As for the front hubs, are they a one-piece assembly, bearing, ABS sensor and all on these I'm presuming? What's the $$$ range and is it a DIY driveway job or did the GM engineers somehow make it a major hassle?

I did notice what *may* have been a small bit of bearing growl...but barely noticeable and could have been tire noise. Certainly not major or a safety related issue at this point.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:32 AM

If I remember correctly, I got mine off EBay and both were under $200 shipped (AC Delco). And yes, they are a 1 piece design.

If you have an impact, it's pretty straighforward to swap. If no impact, just eat your wheaties the day before....lol
Old 09-19-2012, 12:51 PM

Mine's an '07 with just over 161000 km; it still drives like new, and I'd have no worries keeping it past 250000 km. Rotors last about 18 months before I get a vibration; replace your sway bar links with the Moog greasable, that'll quiet down the knocking for good (I went through 3 sets of Delco prior). Wheel hubs are not difficult to replace at all. I've also just replaced the struts myself.

Other non-standard items that you may see are the wiper linkage failing/rusting out (again, easily replaced), and the transmission shifter lock-out pin getting loose/dropping out of place. I've had a weird electrical problem with the shifter; I ended up replacing the whole assembly for less than $200.

Yves