General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Start up warning lights on dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 07:44 AM

Start up warning lights on dash

I recently bought a 2009 HHR LT and noticed that on start up the lights below the gauges (speedometer and such) do not flash on and then off when you first start the car. I believe they all work because when I engage the emergency brake it lights up and the seat belt light comes on till I put on the belt. What could be causing this issue? When I bought the car it did not come with a key fob so I bought one at auto-zone and programmed it but it does not work with the tire reset procedure. The rear tires pressure is -- on both tires. I can see that both tires were replaced since they are different brand from the front tires and the spare.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! The aftermarket FOB's won't work with the TPMS.
Turn your key to on , the warning lights should light up
Old 05-02-2017, 08:05 AM

I have done that and they do not do the initial light up when key is inserted and turned to on.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:21 AM

If I purchase a key fob from a Chevrolet dealership will it perform just like the original key and link with the TPMS?
Old 05-02-2017, 08:27 AM
Technical Moderator

If you turn the key to "on" engine off the lights should come on. I don't know why they would not.

The TPMS reset procedure should work if the lock buttons work. Step #2 & #3 are important. Key ON/engine OFF.

Have you tried the remote start? If your fob does not have a button for it "lock + panic" does the same thing. Look for AP3 on the glove box door.

Start up warning lights on dash-tpms.png
Old 05-02-2017, 08:46 AM

I just came back in from trying it again since the rear upper brake lights and battery were replaced yesterday. The horn never beeped to indicate that it is in learn mode.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:57 AM

I just tried this that I found on another forum site and no results.....

If your vehicle does not have RKE, press the Driver Information Center (DIC) vehicle information button until the PRESS V TO RELEARN TIRE POSITIONS message displays. The horn sounds
twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message displays on the DIC screen
Old 05-02-2017, 09:13 AM
Technical Moderator

If 2 of the tires don't read they probably may not have TPMs installed. Somebody took wheels off another car, used car operations do that all the time.

If this was a 2008 model I would refer a TSB.

So, no warning lights at all when the key is on "run" engine off? Not ACC. Not even the Check Engine Light?

It is easy to turn it to ACC instead of run. Friend of mine asked me where ACC was because he couldn't feel it.

BTW, there is no need to hold the key in "start" until the engine starts, just a momentary and release, the starter will stop when the engine starts.

You might check the cars recall status at : https://my.chevrolet.com/recalls
Old 05-02-2017, 09:15 AM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Catherine2u
I just tried this that I found on another forum site and no results.....

If your vehicle does not have RKE, press the Driver Information Center (DIC) vehicle information button until the PRESS V TO RELEARN TIRE POSITIONS message displays. The horn sounds
twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message displays on the DIC screen
Maybe for Cobalts, not HHR.

If you need a Owner Manual follow the link in my sig.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:52 AM

I can feel the different positions on the key when it is turned slowly and the only lights that come on in the warn light area is the seat belt and the brake light.

After trying several ways I have come to the conclusion that you may be right on the fact that there may not be sensors in the rear tires.

I have checked and there are 4 recalls on the car and they are with the ignition and airbag. Maybe when I take it in for theses items it will mysteriously correct the gauge issue since when I replaced the rear brake lights on the upper hatch area (all 4) my cruise started working again.

Quick Reply: Start up warning lights on dash