General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Thank you!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 02:49 PM

Thank you!

I just want to say thank you, to all you regulars and experts here...

I do not visit very often, but when I do... you guys always give excellent and great advise; even though sometimes its not the kind one wants to hear all the time.

A few months ago, my '06 HHR LS started leaking oil.

Eventually we got a mechanic to go digging in and discovered it was the Oil Pressure Sensor up behind the Starter... not something that I could easily change myself... so we saved up and had that mechanic do the work for us.

Had that work done this past Wednesday, and happily, no more oil leak!

But as I drove the car home which was literally 5 minutes away... my check engine light went on, and the transmission started acting wierd. It was "lurching hard" during each shift... and unfortunately I couldn't turn around and go back to them cause I picked up the car just before they were closing for the day and I had to go pick up the girlfriend at work... I also didn't have a chance to take it back to them on Thursday, or Friday...

I started thinking this mechanic gave me a "screw driver job" and maybe drained some of my transmission fluid out, tampered with something so I'd have to came back and pay them more to do more work...

But today, after a visit to OReilly's Auto Parts around the corner from the our apartment, and having them run their scanner for any codes on my Check Engine Light... the result was...

Main EMIS Fuse or
Mass Air Flow Connector

Hmm.. ok, the Oreilly's guy helped me with checking the fuse there on the spot, that wasn't the problem... so I came back home and pulled up this website, and looked up the Mass Air Flow Connector... which brought me too...

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...-sensor-49563/

Which in turn, second post down, directed me too...

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/main...-filter-10757/

That Thread, and the 4th picture down...

5 Minutes later I'm looking around under my hood and lo' and behold what did I find!

The MAF plug was disconnected and left hanging loose, and kinda tucked down out of the way where it wouldn't have been easily seen.

I just reached in, and plugged it back in.

Now the car is suddenly working great again, no more wonky transmission issues, no more funky noises!

Though the Check Engine Light was still on, so I went back to the OReilly's and had them plug their scanner back in and almost immediately the Check Engine Light turned itself off.

I would have gone to a Transmission Shop and paid them hundreds to go through my Transmission... or I could have gone back to the original mechanic and paid them another Labor fee... though sure I suspect they unplugged it initially so they could check my air filter, even though I didn't ask them too, the invoice DOES show that they did some free basic inspection involving inspecting brakes, belts, hoses, fluids, etc, etc... so its possible, they went to inspect the air filter as well, and unplugged the MAF and forgot to plug it back in...

But I didn't have to go back to them, or go to a second mechanic and say "hey somethings wrong with my transmission!" ...because all it took, was 5 minutes on this website... and all the problems were solved with just 1 little plug!
Old 02-04-2017, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Glad it's fixed!! I had a suspicion that connection was forgotten!

As for the oil pressure switch....thanks to Whopper, here's a how to.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...ng-unit-57962/
Old 02-04-2017, 03:19 PM

Yep, great community here, glad you got it fixed up!!