General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Time to change ignition switch, and cylinder

Old 06-07-2016, 02:02 PM

Time to change ignition switch, and cylinder

Like the thread title says, what's a reasonable amount of time to change the ignition switch, and key cylinder(recall service)? Service lady at the dealership is telling me, it could be 4, to 6 hours, or even all day, even with an appointment? I'm calling BS.

I really want to call the service rep for this area, but so far haven't came up with any contact number.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member

Took my dealer just under an hour.
From the time I arrived for the scheduled appointment, till I was leaving the parking lot.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:29 PM

It means that they overbooked their appointments... like many appointment-based businesses do. If they want to take that long to do it, insist that they give you a loaner car.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:31 PM
Technical Moderator

IF the tech did no other work, start to finish is about 1.5 hours.

But remember they are flat rate guys and Warranty/Recall work does not pay well. They don't want to do it if they can do a brake job instead. They can probably do 3-4 brake jobs at the same time they are doing your recall.

Relax, drop the car off at night pick it up the next night. You can get the work done at ANY GM shop, I went to an unrelated Buick shop down the street from the Chevy shop I think sucks.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
IF the tech did no other work, start to finish is about 1.5 hours.

But remember they are flat rate guys and Warranty/Recall work does not pay well. They don't want to do it if they can do a brake job instead. They can probably do 3-4 brake jobs at the same time they are doing your recall.

Relax, drop the car off at night pick it up the next night. You can get the work done at ANY GM shop, I went to an unrelated Buick shop down the street from the Chevy shop I think sucks.
Thanks Don. That might work, if the closest chevy dealer was closer than 40 miles. And I'm nursing a wife, that just had a heart attack, and three strokes. I don't have all day to dilly around. She, 'service managers girl' I reckon, said absolutely NO loaner car, for that procedure. Can't get through to the actual service manager. She just pissed me off.

I know the locksmith guy here can change a key cylinder, in less than five minutes, the switch is right under the dash.

Next email I reckon will go to the owner of the dealership.

Thanks for the replies
Old 06-07-2016, 05:25 PM
Administrator

I got a loaner when I had this service done!
Old 06-07-2016, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Donbrew hit it right on the head!!
Old 06-07-2016, 07:06 PM

I was offered a loaner car when I had mine done but took a ride home instead. The wife brought me back to get the car.

It took them a bit over an hour to do the change for me.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:22 PM

Maybe try a different GM dealership? Deer capital is Monticello(Jasper County)? Looks like 6 dealers all less than an hour away.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:13 PM

Just called the next closest one, put on hold, called back, on hold again for 15 minutes, with the occasional, your call is important message.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Time to change ignition switch, and cylinder