General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

V8 HHR Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:08 PM

kinda odd hearing "thick metal" when talking about an HHR.....

really enjoying watching the progress on this!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:16 PM

I have been around cars and motorcycles for about 50 years. I find the quality and caliber of this build outstanding. Your presentation on this forum is as professional as they come. Thank you.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by cosmic1
I have been around cars and motorcycles for about 50 years. I find the quality and caliber of this build outstanding. Your presentation on this forum is as professional as they come. Thank you.
Thanks but I'm just an old hot rodder farting around in the garage. Old age has taught me one thing tho...patience. When I was young I would sort of hack things together. Now I can't stand to it if it isn't correct. I'll work all day on some little part if that's what it takes. When my buddies come over they will give my grief when they find something that isn't just right....what are friends for?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:26 PM

Dash challenges

I mounted the dash in the car this afternoon and immediately ran into trouble. The brake pedal was moved almost 4 inches to the left and it runs directly into the steering colum mounting area. I'm going to have to strip the components out of the dash and get down to bare steel subframe. That way I can figure out what needs to be done to fix it. I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:29 PM

Thumbs up Brake pedal

Man, if it ain't one thing, it's another. Are you going to have to make some type of an offset bellcrank to make it work?
Hang in there bud, you'll figure all of it out eventually. You've came way too far to quit now...
Mo
Old 02-10-2014, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by T 20
You've came way too far to quit now...
Mo
There is no way I'm quitting on this build. This is just another challenge. This too will be solved. I'm sure there will be more things to come up. Remember I haven't even started the electrical and that is going to be really hard.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

But we are all cheering for you...hope it helps.....
Old 02-11-2014, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by lasater
There is no way I'm quitting on this build. This is just another challenge. This too will be solved. I'm sure there will be more things to come up.
Unless you have an attitude like this, you should never attempt a project like this. It's simply a matter of persistence and patience combined with years of experience.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:14 AM

There is no way I'm quitting on this build.

So on with the BUILD! we're paying attention..
Old 02-12-2014, 10:12 PM

I Got A Plan

As I said before, the brake pedal and the steering colum are both in the same place. Since I can't move the colum over any here is what I'm gonna do. First I need to completly re make the brake pedal and pedal hanging assembly. It will be a flipped version of stock with an offset pedal arm so the pedal itself ends up in roughly the correct place. To get the steering colum thru, I will remove the motor assist casting (circled in red) which will make it small enough to get by the pedal arm. I will have to build a new pivot point that will go in the same place as the old one but it will not have the bulk of the existing casting. This will probably take me a few weeks to do so I probably won't be posting much for a while. I'll keep ya posted.
Attached Images  

Last edited by lasater; 02-13-2014 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply: V8 HHR Build