General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Help Diagnosing a Strange Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:35 AM

Question Help Diagnosing a Strange Noise?

'Ello everyone... been awhile since I've been able to log in, but I've got a strange noise and I'm hoping the HHR community is up to the task of helping diagnose it.

When I start my SS in cold weather, there's a noise in the interior dashboard behind the glove compartment that sounds like a fan blade or a loud ticking/thumping noise. It only lasts for about 5 seconds and then I never hear it again until I turn the car off for awhile.

My first thought was something with a blower motor or the cabin fan or something back there, but why would this only happen when it's cold and only for a short period of time?

Anyone have any similar experiences that I can leverage off of to see if I can get this diagnosed before having to take it to a Stealership?

Thanks!
a76marine
Old 10-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Make sure the fan motor is turned off when you start the car - if the noise is still there then it is not the fan motor.

Check the cabin filter in the glove box - pull it out and replace it if it is due for replacement, have a look inside to see if there is any debris in there that needs to be cleaned out.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:46 PM

I agree with whopper, determine if it is the fan blower motor first.

I have seen electric fan motors (not automotive but till an electric motor) start up under cold conditions making noise and then clear up within a few seconds. The problem here is that the cold temp has caused the bearing grease to harden, after running a few seconds it screeches / hums and then the grease warms just enough to start lubing again and the noise goes away. I have on occasion tore the motor down and re-greased the bearings and the problem goes away.

Let us know if it is coming from your blower motor first.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member

Good explanation there on cold vrs hot.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:43 PM

Could you describe it like a gurgling noise? That happens to me sometimes during a cold start. It lasts for a few seconds when I start moving, kind of like fluid or bubbles moving through a pipe. I just top off the Dex-Cool as it can get a little low sometimes. That takes care of my cold start up noise.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

ticking/thumping and gurgling are 2 different sounds.....with 2 different "options". Gurgling usually is air in the cooling system.

I agree with the suggestion regarding the thumping. Sounds like the fan blade/motor.

Funny thing, I had the same symptom, only on an up right freezer. I hit it a couple times on the side (suggested by my usual appliance repair guy) and it stopped. Never had a problem again.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:59 PM

When I worked for dodge I have seen the mode and temp door actuators make a clicking noise for a few seconds when they reached the end of there travel. The plastic gears inside the actuator would skip over worn teeth. I don't know if the actuators on the hhr could do this but it seems possible. I know the actuators on the hhr are in the center of the dash but I think there is a recirculation actuator behind the glove box area.