Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   why such a big price difference between countries? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/why-such-big-price-difference-between-countries-12654/)

chooch 01-13-2008 06:34 PM

why such a big price difference between countries?

Symbol U.S. Dollar Exchange
Rate Canadian Dollar Bid Ask
USDCAD=X 1 Jan 13 1.0188 1.0188 1.0188 1.0191
Add to Portfolio Set Alert Download Data:confused: ------ i am no economist, but i am a little confused as to why an american owned company such as GM can build the chevy HHR in MEXICO and sell that same exact vehicle for 5 to 7 thousand dollars more in Canada....especially now with the Canadian dollar on par with the american dollar. Anybody here study economics well enough to give me a simple clear explanation? I'm not trying to stir up an argument, honestly just trying to figure out the hows and whys the pricing structures vary so much. thanks!:thumb: (just to clarify the gibberish uptop..it means as of today, jan.13th,2008 the canadian dollar is worth $1.0188 versus the american dollar)

SindyDix 01-13-2008 07:07 PM

What does .0188 actually amount up to?

chooch 01-13-2008 07:12 PM

not sure...but a dollar =a d0llar = on par. $1 canadian =$1merican. ACTUALLY, go price out a 2008 chevy hhr lt. Price out the exact same car , model, options. Do one for canada GM and one for usa GM. IF i recall, theres even a huge price difference in the moonroof option....check it off on the american side--$750? ..the canadian option about $1250 0r more.

Old Ray 01-13-2008 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by chooch (Post 228196)
Anybody here give me a simple clear explanation?

Because they can, ......................because sadly a good number of us will pay it.

It is my understanding that GM Canada does not release their profit information in Canada, ever wonder why? :confused:

TomR00 01-13-2008 07:44 PM

It's probably some kind of tax thing, it's always a tax (money) thing. Those governments will suck you dry any way they can.

TomR

Old_Chevy_SS_Man 01-13-2008 07:45 PM

How much do HHR's sell for in Mexico ??????

eat_world 01-13-2008 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by TomR00 (Post 228226)
It's probably some kind of tax thing, it's always a tax (money) thing. Those governments will suck you dry any way they can.

TomR

I second blaming the taxes.

chooch 01-13-2008 08:37 PM

http://www.chevrolet.com.mx/content_...l----Chevrolet HHR Paq. C LT Manual 2.4L $186,129
Chevrolet HHR Paq. D Comfort LT Aut. 2.4L $201,893
Chevrolet HHR Paq. G Elegance Aut. 2.4L con estribos $227,281

El precio que aparece en este sitio puede diferir del precio ofrecido por el Distribuidor Autorizado Chevrolet. El precio del vehículo mostrado en está página, no representa el precio de compraventa final. Precios sujetos a cambios sin previo aviso (Inflación, paridad con el USD, impactos en el mercado, etc.).
Conozca el plan de financiamiento perfecto para usted en www.gmac.com.mx

Consulte las modalidades y restricciones de estas promociones con su Distribuidor Autorizado Chevrolet participante. Válido sólo en modelos 2008. Vigencia al 31 de enero de 2008. ---ummmmmm.. tried figuring out the currency conversion...anybody?----201,893.00 MXN

=

18,804.29 CAD
Mexico Pesos Canada Dollars
1 MXN = 0.0931399 CAD 1 CAD = 10.7365 MX......thats the hhr LT auto...costs $18,804.29 canadian. Now from mexican to american....
18,461.32 USD.

MWG2 01-13-2008 09:08 PM

It's because the trip from Mexico to Canada is soooooo far and you have to pay the US excise, travel, road, hotel, farquat and toll taxes along with the land port fee and two border crossing fees. Add to that the Texas Bush tax and the Kansas Plains tax along with the California Costal Fee and you can see how it cost so much more to buy a HHR in Cananda. Just another reason why Canada should become the 51st state!! ;)

Peace,

an08HHR 01-13-2008 09:41 PM

Here in the States we get kissed, up in Canada you just get *&$#^&

Black Rose 01-13-2008 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by an08HHR (Post 228272)

True, but our beer is better, so it all works out in the end :lol:

prod 01-13-2008 11:07 PM

Well Im one of the suckers I guess. :D
Just bought an '08 in Canada, but of course they dont actually sell for that MSRP price. The salesman immediately knocked off $3000 on my first request for a price. Then I found out about the $1000 govt eco-auto rebate. I was also looking at a Vibe, which they wouldnt cut any kind of deal on. It was an easy choice for me.

Marzipan 01-13-2008 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by TomR00 (Post 228226)

TomR

There are no taxes in the MSRP for a HHR. Taxes are imposed after MSRP. They consist of $100 for air conditioning, 0% import duty, 5% federal value added tax and a provincial sales tax except in Alberta and the Territories - but after MSRP. Price differences are in the 5K to 10K range or 20 to 40% - even Alaska has lower MSRP than Ontario.

The reason is that the manufacturers charge what they can get away with. Things are changing. Imports of new and used are already huge and growing as enterprising souls find ways of cashing in on the price gap. Hope to be one such entrepreneur myself this Spring.

Marzipan 01-13-2008 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by prod (Post 228322)
Well Im one of the suckers I guess. :D
Just bought an '08 in Canada, but of course they dont actually sell for that MSRP price. The salesman immediately knocked off $3000 on my first request for a price. Then I found out about the $1000 govt eco-auto rebate. I was also looking at a Vibe, which they wouldnt cut any kind of deal on. It was an easy choice for me.

Interesting! What trim and options did you buy? Do you mind disclosing the price? If not you might want to private message me (by clicking on Marzipan to the left). Local dealer ignored my request for a quote.

prod 01-14-2008 12:20 AM

I see you are in the Yukon, so it may be different for you.
Down here in southern Ontario, it is easier to work a deal now because of cross-border shopping. It has been public knowledge for a few months now that since the canadian dollar is close to par with US dollar, car prices are so much cheaper in the US. Many people have taken advantage of it by buying over the border.
Many local canadian dealers have been advertising "US pricing" equivalents in order to bring more people in, although they are still thousands more.
Im surprised the dealer didnt get back to with a good price, down here there are so many competing dealerships they scramble to contact customers.
I bought an LS, only options are auto trans, remote start, and roof rails. Sticker price was $22,845, got it for about $3000 less than that. I probably could have gotten a little lower with more haggling time or repeated visits, but my cavalier was totalled in an accident, needed a car quick. The HHR was only about $1000 more than I paid for the cavalier, so I did the deal and am quite happy with it.

an08HHR 01-14-2008 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by prod (Post 228340)
Many local canadian dealers have been advertising "US pricing" equivalents in order to bring more people in, although they are still thousands more.
Im surprised the dealer didnt get back to with a good price, down here there are so many competing dealerships they scramble to contact customers.
I bought an LS, only options are auto trans, remote start, and roof rails. Sticker price was $22,845, got it for about $3000 less than that. I probably could have gotten a little lower with more haggling time or repeated visits.

So you got it for about 19,845, good as long as you are happy. Guess different areas will give better deals. I got a loaded (except for side airbags) 2LT(even had the 17" high Polished Alum Wheels) this weekend and with the discounts and gm card earnings, I got it for $19,444 OTD. I told them I would take it even before they were able to get another 1K off by doubling my gm earnings. With my trade, I paid them $7944.and drove a new car home What really counts is if you are happy with the deal and love the car. I thought if I told them I wasn't getting enough for my trade, and walked out, I may not fine another deal as good as what they gave me for the bottom line.:thumb:

Firewatcher 01-14-2008 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Black Rose (Post 228286)
True, but our beer is better, so it all works out in the end :lol:

My guess is that you haven't tried Sam Adams. ;)

chooch 01-14-2008 02:16 PM

''"US pricing" equivalents''<<<:censored: WHAT a joke that is , huh Prod? The dealers advertise that but as you say, they still are thousands of dollars off. Otherwise there wouldnt be a a whole whack of canadians crossing the border coming back and bragging about saving 10-15 grand on a caddilac escalade or whatever they once wanted to buy but was grossly overpriced here in the first place. Hey YUKON, i think i read in the vancouver province newspaper that there are companies that charge a fee to go buy and pickup whatever vehicle you want from the states. Since you are so far north of the american border, it would probably save you a lot of money in travelling, fuel, lodging to go car hunting if you used such a service.

MWG2 01-14-2008 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by an08HHR (Post 228272)

:lol: :rof: :rof: :rof: :lol:

Black Rose 01-14-2008 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Firewatcher (Post 228371)
My guess is that you haven't tried Sam Adams. ;)

I've heard great things about Sam Adams beer and want to try it, but haven't picked any up yet. All we can get here is the Boston Lager.