General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Windshield replacement

Old 02-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JR1
I haven't had to replace the windshield on my HHR yet, but when I had one replaced with a non GM windshield on another car I definitely noticed a difference. It had distortion that the original glass didn't. It wasn't bad, but when you look to the side it looked wavy. Since then I have requested GM parts when getting windshields replaced. My insurance covers the cost, but if you don't specify GM parts they will just put in the cheapest part available. If I had to pay for the windshield I might live with a bit of distortion. Good luck
GM doesn't make their own windshields and windows. They come from different vendors.

From another site.
Quote: "Car manufacturers don’t typically make their own windshields. This work is subcontracted to companies that specialize in auto glass. The auto glass company creates windshields and windows according to the car maker’s strict specifications. Then the glass is shipped to the central facility where the cars are actually assembled, and they are installed in new cars as they are built. Since this work is subcontracted, the auto manufacturer continually accepts bids from different glass makers. Often they will switch glass manufacturers when a lower bid is received, resulting in identical vehicles having glass that is technically manufactured by different companies. By the time you need to have your windshield replaced, your car’s manufacturer may have switched glass companies, so you will receive an OEM windshield that might have been made by a different company than your original."
Old 02-07-2017, 11:26 AM
JR1

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
GM doesn't make their own windshields and windows. They come from different vendors.

From another site.
Quote: "Car manufacturers don’t typically make their own windshields. This work is subcontracted to companies that specialize in auto glass. The auto glass company creates windshields and windows according to the car maker’s strict specifications. Then the glass is shipped to the central facility where the cars are actually assembled, and they are installed in new cars as they are built. Since this work is subcontracted, the auto manufacturer continually accepts bids from different glass makers. Often they will switch glass manufacturers when a lower bid is received, resulting in identical vehicles having glass that is technically manufactured by different companies. By the time you need to have your windshield replaced, your car’s manufacturer may have switched glass companies, so you will receive an OEM windshield that might have been made by a different company than your original."

Yeah car makers don't make most of their own parts, but an aftermarket windshield is not the same as a GM part. A GM windshield will have the GM logo and made by a contracted supplier that must meet all GM specifications. An aftermarket windshield may or may not meet GM quality standards.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:00 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by JR1
I haven't had to replace the windshield on my HHR yet, but when I had one replaced with a non GM windshield on another car I definitely noticed a difference. It had distortion that the original glass didn't. It wasn't bad, but when you look to the side it looked wavy. Since then I have requested GM parts when getting windshields replaced. My insurance covers the cost, but if you don't specify GM parts they will just put in the cheapest part available. If I had to pay for the windshield I might live with a bit of distortion. Good luck
Please post a picture of the GM logo on a windshield.

If you specify "OEM" glass you will still get the cheapest they can find, because the definition of "OEM" is the same size and shape as the manufacturer installed and has a DOT approval.

These days you would be hard pressed to find ANY windshield glass made in the USA, I'm not positive that PPG still owns the logo.

The last Safelite glass I saw was Chinese.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:04 AM

I got the non gm with blue tint strip. I did notice the fitment tolerances weren't quite the same, but most wouldn't notice it.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:59 AM
JR1

Originally Posted by donbrew
Please post a picture of the GM logo on a windshield.

If you specify "OEM" glass you will still get the cheapest they can find, because the definition of "OEM" is the same size and shape as the manufacturer installed and has a DOT approval.

These days you would be hard pressed to find ANY windshield glass made in the USA, I'm not positive that PPG still owns the logo.

The last Safelite glass I saw was Chinese.

Wow tough crowd here. Full disclosure, I am a GM engineer. These pics show the GM logo on my HHR windshield. My Camaro windshield has it too.

People seem to misunderstand what OEM means (original equipment manufacturer). It has nothing to do with where the parts are made. It means that an OEM part is licensed by GM and meets their specifications. OEM HHR windshields were probably made in Mexico since that is where the car was built. GM may not even make windshields for the HHR at this point. I know a lot of parts have been discontinued.

I don't doubt some places put in the cheapest glass they can find even if you ask for OEM, but that doesn't mean it is an OEM part. Anybody can legally make replacement parts for cars as long as they don't claim it is a GM part. Just because it fits on the car and meets the basic legal requirements doesn't make it an OEM part.
Attached Thumbnails Windshield replacement-img_3521.jpg   Windshield replacement-img_3523.jpg  
Old 02-08-2017, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Same logo my first windshield had, I never thought to take s picture of it.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:46 AM

wow. Looks like Gregg already had his replaced once! And another time soon!
Old 02-15-2017, 11:41 AM

Have had to have several windshield rock chips fixed, but so far have avoided replacement.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:22 PM

Haven't had to replace any glass in several years, which is weird. My Miata (rest its soul) went through 3 windshields in 5 years and I had to pay for all of them. Triumph Auto Glass was aces for it and they did it in my office parking lot.
Changed insurance companies when I replaced the Miata with a Mustang. The new guys (State Farm) do the no-deductible thing on windshields, although I haven't needed one yet.

Are you guys who buy the glass from RockAuto installing it or just taking it to an auto glass place. I cannot imagine how hard it would be to get it right, doing it yourself.

Before the Miata, it was a Dodge Intrepid (2 windshields in 2 years) and before that a Fox-body Mustang with one windshield in 2 years.

All of those cars were driven the same as the ones before. Same job with same commute for 20 years now. I tell ya' Alabama roads are tough on windshields!
Old 02-16-2017, 07:05 PM

A-men on the Alabama roads. My windshield is starting to look like a roadmap, with a few random stars scattered around. We're about to replace both our windshields, but I'm all cringey about how soon the first rock is gonna find me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield replacement