General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Worth getting an Extended Warranty from Warranty Direct?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 06:07 AM

Worth getting an Extended Warranty from Warranty Direct?

When I bought my HHR the dealer asked if I wanted to buy an extended warranty to extend the 3 year 36K bumper to bumper warranty to 100K to match the powertrain warranty. I declined because I didn't want to drop another 1000 dollars at the time.

While I don't anticipate any issues with this car's powertrain components I started thinking of the other things that may go out on me after 36K....stuff like power seat motor, a/c compressor..power window motors etc....stuff that could fail and would be some big $$ to replace....I put miles on cars real quick...to the tune of 30-35K a year..so pretty much my bumper to bumper from the factory would be used up in about a year.....

Cost of the plan is about 850 dollars with a 100 dollar deductible....I'd go for the 4 year 100K warranty(least amount of years available for a 100K warranty) as I will hit 100k before 4 years

Like I said, more concerned with power seat motors, power window motors, a/c components...

Worth it and has anybody got any info on Warranty Direct either good or bad?

Goose
Old 05-29-2007, 06:26 AM

I`ve got a related question...
It`s called an EXTENDED warranty, why does the time/milage start at purchase, rather than after the original warranty ends?
Am I missing something about the word, EXTENDED?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:12 AM

Goose word of caution, I had someone come in to the dealership I work at the other day and use their extended warranty. The contract read $100 deductible. But the fine print said $100 deduct per line/complaint that was covered. Personally if you are going to purchase one on your own I would check to see if you could get a Wynn's extended contract. We don't sell them where I work, but have delt with them, and they cover just about everything.

My 2 cents worth.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:31 AM

If you do an extended warranty deal w/ the GM Protection Plan. You will have piece of mind that any GM dealer will service it. The aftermarket warrantys some places will not accept and do not have to. There have been some aftermarket warrantys that have a bad rep for not paying the service provider in a timley manner. Plus the GMPP requires use of GM parts vs aftermarket if at all possible. But I agree they do not do a good job of explaining the time frame buying a 5 yr 75k only gives you an additonal 2 yrs on the bumper to bumper items.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:40 AM

I agree with ws91420. If you are going to get an extended warranty, get the one from GM.

Since I bought a 2006 model, I only got the 3yr/60,000 km warranty with the vehicle, so I bought coverage to 4 yr/100,000 km.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

If you are asking for opinions, I will agree with ws91420 !!

Based on ALL consumer publications and ALL (that I have seen) Consumer Protection Groups and various state attorney generals offices, IF you purchase an extended automotive warranty, BUY FROM THE MANUFACTURER.

Problems encountered with "aftermarket" warranties.....

1. issuing company goes out of business
2. sometimes must be taken to specific repair facilities
3. "fine tuned" to decline repair (i.e..left headlight and rear taillight malfunction)
4. delay in repair approval
5. deductible only allowed one time on an item. YOU pay full amount next visit OR hassle with the service provider to cover repair under THEIR service warranty.
6. Not recognized by some dealers (you pay then get reimbursed minus your deductible)

Sometimes you can contact a different dealer, after the sale, and get the manufacturers extended warranty. In fact, I believe someone posted in regard to a dealer they found who would do that by internet service...and it was discounted SOME.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:07 PM

But GM wanted $1300 to extend my warranty to 5 year-50,000 miles. That's what they offered me last June. That was ridiculous. If you can find the right aftermarket warranty that covers the big stuff, it's worth your while. Otherwise, put that amount in the bank and hope you earn interest and have no major repairs in that timeframe.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

That is why I used the word "IF" combined with the "purchase".

Otherwise, you do a risk analysis and determine what it is worth to you to have the extended warranty.

But cripes SandyBeach, I think your dealer was "stinging" you and I've seen the dealer cost. My cost, as GM Salaried Retiree, is about half of the quoted price to you.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:30 PM

But why doesn`t the Extended warranty start after the original warranty expires???
Why are the two overlapping???
Old 05-29-2007, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
But cripes SandyBeach, I think your dealer was "stinging" you and I've seen the dealer cost. My cost, as GM Salaried Retiree, is about half of the quoted price to you.
Must be a FL thing, I was offered 3 different types by the Dealer. That was the one that covered all.

Quick Reply: Worth getting an Extended Warranty from Warranty Direct?