Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   GM Recall Campaigns (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-recall-campaigns-70/)
-   -   Bad Power Steering Motor? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-recall-campaigns-70/bad-power-steering-motor-50900/)

ksuemalee 06-21-2014 07:09 PM

Bad Power Steering Motor?

My power steering went out. I took it to the Chevy Service Center and had them look at it. They told me it was the power steering motor. I decided to do it myself. I bought a new motor from them. They told me Chevy no longer makes brand new ones and I would have to get a refurbished one. It was simple to put on and the power steering seems to be working. The problem I am having now is a whining, or squeaking noise that the car makes every time I turn the wheel. This can be both while driving and sitting in park turning the wheel. Do you think they gave me a bad Power Steering Motor? It hasn't kicked off yet and seems to be working. Is it possible I put something back together wrong? I need help. I cannot stand the noise. Thanks.

whopper 06-21-2014 08:11 PM

The power steering motor is covered by an extended warranty - go back to the dealer and have them make it right and refund your money for the motor.

(suspecting a troll on this one, so closing the thread).

whopper 06-21-2014 09:56 PM

reopened after pm from member. My previous comments still hold: The original power steering motor is covered by an extended warranty - go back to the dealer and have them make it right and refund your money for the motor.

And I suspect the part about "refurbished" motors being the only ones available is BS on the dealers part.

ksuemalee 06-21-2014 10:03 PM

Thank you for reopening. I will definitely take it back on Monday. Hopefully it works without the whining when I get a new one.

whopper 06-21-2014 10:13 PM

best of luck with it. Give 'em h-e-double hockey sticks!!! :)

donbrew 06-21-2014 11:15 PM

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/..._ids=14V153000

Download this document and show it to them and save the url for them so they don't say "oh, you read it on the internet, did you?"

whopper 06-22-2014 02:53 AM

hey thanks Donbrew!! I missed that

Ron S 06-22-2014 08:37 AM

I just got a recall on my power steering motor on both our 09 and 10. Ask the dealer if this applies to you.

08LaRam 06-22-2014 10:02 AM

ksuemalee, you should be receiving a Recall notice in the mail on that power steering motor. I have such a notice from GM dated June 2014, #14115.

whopper 06-22-2014 12:27 PM

the 06/07's are covered by an EXTENDED WARRANTY - they are not recalled.

donbrew 06-22-2014 05:15 PM

THAT's WHAT I was trying to say. Do the links work?

HERE IS THE RELEVANT PART. WRITE THE NUMBER DOWN.

. Note: GM bulletin number 14119 will be implemented for model year 2006-2008 and early production of 2009 Chevrolet HHR (non-turbo) and model year 2003 Saturn ION to provide EPS Motor replacement for the life of the vehicle.

whopper 06-22-2014 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by 08LaRam (Post 750639)
ksuemalee, you should be receiving a Recall notice in the mail on that power steering motor. I have such a notice from GM dated June 2014, #14115.

Once again wrong info :skull1: - not ALL HHR's are on the recall list - some like hers have been given an EXTENDED WARRANTY.

MARTIN TORRRES 11-28-2018 06:40 PM

Buenas noches, mi pontiac g5 presento dureza en la direccion electroasistida fui a la agencia y es mucho dinero lo que cobrar por arreglarlo, asi que compre la pieza por aparte y la instale pero al momento de conectar el modulo de direccion y hacer la programacion de la misma, esta sigue dura, checaron las lineas de energia y encontramos que al conectar dicho modulo manda a tierra el voltaje, se le han echo varias pruebas y el problema no se corrige, podrian apoyarme

Good evening, my pontiac g5 presented hardness in the electro-assisted direction I went to the agency and it's a lot of money to charge for fixing it, so I bought the piece separately and installed it but when I plugged in the address module and did the programming the same, it is still hard, they checked the power lines and we found that by connecting this module it sends the voltage to ground, several tests have been done and the problem is not corrected, you could support me

RJ_RS_SS_350 11-28-2018 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by MARTIN TORRRES (Post 856514)
Buenas noches, mi pontiac g5 presento dureza en la direccion electroasistida fui a la agencia y es mucho dinero lo que cobrar por arreglarlo, asi que compre la pieza por aparte y la instale pero al momento de conectar el modulo de direccion y hacer la programacion de la misma, esta sigue dura, checaron las lineas de energia y encontramos que al conectar dicho modulo manda a tierra el voltaje, se le han echo varias pruebas y el problema no se corrige, podrian apoyarme

Google translation was not very good, hopefully someone will understand what you are asking.

donbrew 11-28-2018 09:22 PM

To begin with you have a Pontiac G5 not a Chevy HHR.

I don't know what we can do for you.

Oldblue 11-29-2018 08:52 AM

Only suggestion have is to reinspect connections and ground wires, then a battery lobotomy,
disconnect the negative battery connection at the battery for 30 minutes to reset the computer

fatphil 03-17-2019 12:51 PM

Mine just croaked as well.

Whopper, I have a AA5, LE5 powered 2LT car that just hit 150K.

it's a really early 2008 (prod date 10/07) and was just at the bodyshop for a minor very collision Front end bumper cover repair. "It came back with a DOA EPS" and my 3 questions are

A: Is my car an "Extended Warranty" style car vs an official NHTSA "RECALL" like the 2006 and 2007's, G5's , Malibu Maxx's and so on....

B: What does "Extended Warranty" mean or cover i.e. EPS motor, torque sensor, Underhood Fuse block, ETC...

C: Before I take my clown car and put it into the "GM Warranty Circus" what should I check when it stops snowing? Interior fuse #19 2amp, Exterior Fuse 60 Amp, Data coming out of the DLC are the 3 I know to look at. Anything else?

Oldblue 03-17-2019 01:06 PM

See post #11, yes, the 2008 model is included, non turbo models

donbrew 03-17-2019 04:17 PM

If it came back from the body shop broken I would be sure to check the 60 A fuse under hood. I would put $.02 bet that somebody "jump started" the car and being idiots hooked it up wrong.