GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

GM Ignition Recall Extended to All HHR's 2006-2011 UPDATED!!!

Old 01-17-2015, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

A quick reminder to those getting the Ignition switch Recall done: make sure you check the keys given to you in the door lock to make sure they work ok.

If the keys don't work in the door lock, it's possible the lock needs lubrication (as they don't get used much if you have your FOB),
or, the keys were not cut for your specific vehicle (ie: they used a recall kit for a different VIN).
Old 01-17-2015, 06:46 PM
Technical Moderator

Or, they were cut to your VIN, but somebody changed keys previously.

A key in stock for your VIN sounds suspicious to me. They were supposed to come to the dealer already pinned to the VIN.
But, re pinning is not a big deal, a "compleat idiot" could do it.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:00 AM

I recently had the ign sw upgrade performed on our 2008 HHR SS and our 2009 Cobalt LT. Both went smooth with no issues. All keys and locks worked fine after the swap.

I wouldn't have bothered for myself, as I have always driven all of my cars with just the key and the key fob with no other items on the key ring. I have too many vehicles and car key/fob sets to attach house keys and other items to the ring.

But for my wife and my college age daughter, it's a different story. They attach everything under the sun to their key rings and in the event that they occasionally use these vehicles in the near future or if the end up driving them regularly in the future, I want them safe.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:43 PM

recall

I had my 2009 in for service of the ignition recall at the dealership. Yesterday, I was finishing with my brakes and I happen to see my old key that I forgot to give the dealership. So I said to myself, this old and original key should not work. I inserted and turned it and low and behold it started the car. I was dumb founded. I thought that when the ignition switch and replacement of ignition lock cylinder and ignition keys, you cannot turn the car over with the old key. When I called the service department to speak to the person who took care of me and told him what happened, he said oh yes. The new key was cut using the old key. I really didn't understand and hung up. Can any tell me if what he said is true. I just want to make sure that the work that was suppose to be done was done and the new ignitions can use the old key of the old and replaced ignition. Minuteman 1
Old 03-09-2015, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by minuteman1
I had my 2009 in for service of the ignition recall at the dealership. Yesterday, I was finishing with my brakes and I happen to see my old key that I forgot to give the dealership. So I said to myself, this old and original key should not work. I inserted and turned it and low and behold it started the car. I was dumb founded. I thought that when the ignition switch and replacement of ignition lock cylinder and ignition keys, you cannot turn the car over with the old key. When I called the service department to speak to the person who took care of me and told him what happened, he said oh yes. The new key was cut using the old key. I really didn't understand and hung up. Can any tell me if what he said is true. I just want to make sure that the work that was suppose to be done was done and the new ignitions can use the old key of the old and replaced ignition. Minuteman 1
Yes. The replacement keys should be a match to the old ones. The reason for getting new keys is that GM wants to make sure everyone gets the "new" style keys with the small key ring holes in them.

Some of the older keys had a large key ring slot in them. GM determined those large slots could allow a heavy bunch of keys to slid back and forth in that slot and possibly turn the ignition switch off, or to the accessory position.

If that old key has the large key ring slot, put it away and only use it for an emergency. If it has the small key ring hole, then you've just got an extra.

Last edited by firemangeorge; 03-09-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:01 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by minuteman1
You didn't think they would replace the door lock cylinder too?$$$

52 pages is getting pretty long to expect anyone to bother scrolling.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:39 PM

Ok I finally took the old grey mare in for the recalls. Much not to my surprise the entire service dept front end had changed hands AGAIN, none of the same contacts from Nov - Dec 2014 were employed there anymore.
Anyhew igntion recalls done, power steering motor replaced. And two other recalls Im not sure of were done. Painless
I think Im ready to sell this car now
Old 09-02-2015, 08:06 AM

No recall for export , only domestic

I drive an 06 hhr. We can't get an recall because it is an imported car.
So so bad!!!!
Old 09-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Deceased

to the forum Pontiac1, try contacting Chevrolet's Customer Care office for the Netherlands at 0800-2342345 or via e-mail at.....

help.nl@chevroleteurope.com

If they can't provide assistance, let us know and I'll send a note through to GM here is the U.S., they've been able to assist European owners in the past.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:59 PM

I know this is raising the dead, but what is the "statute of limitations" on the recalls? I typed in my VIN at the GM recall site and it says there are no recalls for my 2006 HHR?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM Ignition Recall Extended to All HHR's 2006-2011 UPDATED!!!