GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

GM Ignition Recall Extended to All HHR's 2006-2011 UPDATED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 04:13 PM
Technical Moderator

More likely someone replaced the lock cylinder, check the see if the recall was done on your car.

The way the recall is supposed to work: They replace the ignition switch and lock cylinder and KEY matched to the VIN. They do nothing with the door, so if the car was re keyed at some point the new key will not work in the door.

The new key from the recall will have a 1/4 inch round hole in the head. They are supposed to confiscate and destroy the old keys with the elongated hole.

You should be able to either have a locksmith rekey the door lock cylinder or purchase a door lock cylinder from GM; assuming that the key you have is cut to the original key code from the factory.

This has nothing to do with GM or any recall. It is a matter of somebody doing something on the cheap. I will bet that at some point in the cars life the door was replaced or the ignition was replaced and nobody cared enough to rekey.

There is also a chance somebody did something after the recall was done.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:02 AM

When the ignition recall was done on my '06 HHR, the "new" key would not work in the door. Upon investigation the dealer said that the door cylinder was "worn" and needed to be replaced. Funny thing was that I used the key fob to open the door and rarely used the key. So I forked over $$ to have the door cylinder replaced. I was PO'd about this, the dealer and that was one reason I traded the car away in 2014. The car did have 133,000 miles on it and had been a very reliable car. Unfortunately GM/Chevy did not have any car in their stables, and switched to a 2015 Hyundai Tucson. Earlier this year I switched to a 2017 Hyundai Tucson.