GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

GM NEEDS to put a recall on the vacuum pump assist problem!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:37 PM

Hmm. Honestly I feel for you. I had issues backing out of my driveway (steep downhill) first thing in the morning. Ever since I bought it.

Did it happen every morning? No
Could I stop the car? Yes, with lots of pedal travel, grinding noises and a firm foot.

The dealer always reported everything was fine, even if they kept it overnight.

I have a 2009 ss auto, and the tsb seemed to say there was new firmware for the 2008 and before but the 09 should be wonderful. It wasn't.

So I watched the vacuum climb before driving, unless I forgot, or was in a hurry. Etc

Since then I have swapped to brembos.
Did that fix the problem?
No, but when I'm surprised by weak power brakes the brembos make EXCELLENT manual brakes: a very firm pedal to push on with a strong leg. Just like 1965.
So in effect it's a solution.

When this does happen to me, it lasts about 30 seconds only.

Don't be too hard on the guy, or the previous owner for not "fixing it". Getting someone to fix an intermittent when they can't duplicate is hard enough, asking them to do it for free is harder.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:53 PM
Technical Moderator

I have no children.
I moderate rarely, I post frequently. I don't think I have ever posted as "Moderating" something. You obviously think that "moderator" means something like 33. It does not, it means I am logged on more than most people are(period).

This is a "fan" website. Why would you think moaning and complaining would be received well?
My 2008 HHR was the first GM product I owned since an unfortunate incident with a used 1962? Olds 98 (it sucked bad). None before that, all MOPAR, VW, Toyota Truck and Nissan Truck, (my wifes POC Olds, Ford, KIA and Mazda are not my fault) ; I am not a GM lover, just a 2 time HHR owner.

I had lots of problems with my 2008 LT, most are documented on this site. I have had several problems with my 2011 LT, most documented on this site.

Complaining does no good on sites like this, try Facebook or an official GM site. There is absolutely no one here that can do anything about your gripes, and not many who care.

If you didn't want comments you would not have started a thread with an inflammatory title and then launched into a screed. Why get all offended and aggrieved? (couldn't find a "pouty face")
Old 03-29-2014, 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by donbrew
I have no children.
I moderate rarely, I post frequently. I don't think I have ever posted as "Moderating" something. You obviously think that "moderator" means something like 33. It does not, it means I am logged on more than most people are(period).

This is a "fan" website. Why would you think moaning and complaining would be received well?
My 2008 HHR was the first GM product I owned since an unfortunate incident with a used 1962? Olds 98 (it sucked bad). None before that, all MOPAR, VW, Toyota Truck and Nissan Truck, (my wifes POC Olds, Ford, KIA and Mazda are not my fault) ; I am not a GM lover, just a 2 time HHR owner.

I had lots of problems with my 2008 LT, most are documented on this site. I have had several problems with my 2011 LT, most documented on this site.

Complaining does no good on sites like this, try Facebook or an official GM site. There is absolutely no one here that can do anything about your gripes, and not many who care.

If you didn't want comments you would not have started a thread with an inflammatory title and then launched into a screed. Why get all offended and aggrieved? (couldn't find a "pouty face")

In other words in order to be accepted here you have to love your HHR, love GM and put your fingers in your ears anytime someone blasphemes the established principles that because YOUR HHR is perfect, so must all the rest.

There is a name for that, but it would probably get me another moderator action. The poor guy has a serious issue and he doesn't know who to turn to about it. I doubt piling on him will help his issue with his car.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:17 PM
Technical Moderator

Did not mention "acceptance". Just stating a fact. Don't join a "fan" site then start b--ching about the thing that made other people want to join. That is counter-intuitive, and counter-productive.

The fact that you have not been banned shows that you have been "accepted". Just know the crowd you are in. You would not go to a BollyWood movie and start yelling out loud about how you get a headache from the "screaming", would you?

I have taken no "moderator action" about you. I think the ADMIN may have, but no discussion took place that I was involved in.

Be very careful, I may throw a hex sign your way. OOOOOH!
Old 03-29-2014, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member

Since the OP has a SS specific issue, I fail to see the reason that a non SS owner would get in on this thread anyway.(sorry if I offend any of our good members).
Mods and Admins excluded, non SS owners probably don't even know what this 6 year old issue is all about.

The OP is one of our regulars. We were just trying to understand why he would want a recall 6 years later after GM put out a fix for this way back then( which his car apparently never got).

Yes, it's sad that he "missed the boat" on the original fix that was offered, but what do you expect, lifetime warranty on every nut and bolt.

Last edited by firemangeorge; 03-29-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:44 PM
Deceased

I believe if the OP went to his dealer and sat down with the Service Manager for "nice talk", the vehicle will get fixed at little or no cost as a "goodwill" repair under GM policy.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Good to hear. Makes me wonder if the parts are "still on the shelves" at some dealerships.
Hope he doesn't have to wait on some long backorder.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:11 PM
Technical Moderator

The pumps are available on EBay.
Now FiremanGeorge is protecting his turf?
You would think the the OP could post peaceful resolutions himself.

I will stop looking at all threads in the SS category, hehe. It will be a free for all in there. No Admins or Mods allowed.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:07 PM

Ok this thread got off track. I've had a string of Crap going wrong with my SS. I am a regular on here since 2009 when I bought my LT. I didn't just join and start flaming.

If you check my history is mainly inquiring about mods and things to learn or giving input of my own. I've always spouted about how much I love this car. However, I know it's quality weaknesses and don't expect a Rolls-Royce Phantom.

It is just that lately this thing has been in the shop once a month it seems. I'm STILL trying to figure out my bouncing boost problem at moderate throttle when starting out slow.

Regardless of missing the boat on this by the previous owner not fixing it, my opinion is this is not a repair of a broken part. If that was the case my warranty would cover it. This is a safety issue GM failed to address at the factory until after my car and should be a recall which is not subject to a story you're too late time-frame.

That being said, GM customer care responded to me on Facebook (I messaged them before it was suggested) and have started the ball rolling to see what can be done. Not sure what that means. One reason I posted here was to get their attention since they have payed attention in the past.

As for complaints, this is a fan forum but fans can vent. Not everyone on a Steelers fan site only posts how wonderful the team is when they lose. There are people here that care and I would think a moderator would remember GM customer care folks posting and helping with issues here.

For the timing, YES the recent recalls make it easier to get a response but NO it is not a cheap shot. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. GM is run by a bunch of big boys that can handle it but have shown a history of not fixing a problem until enough noise is made or the liability claims start to exceed the acceptable level and PR becomes an issue.

I almost hit someone backing out of a parking spot because I couldn't stop fast enough without the vacuum buildup and they were driving too fast. I shouldn't have to sit and wait. If I need to get in and go I should be able to have confidence in my car.

So, they've at least responded. We'll see what happens. I already have to go in for the key cylinder recall so it would be nice to do both at once.

Now, let's get this back on track. I don't need someone trying to put me in my place and this thread might eventually be able to help someone else if we focus on the problem and not an attitude pissing contest.

Last edited by eaglefreak138; 03-30-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:14 PM

Hello Eaglefreak,

I am truly sorry to hear about your concern with your HHR. I would like to look further into this for you. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, mileage, and Chevrolet dealership. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: GM NEEDS to put a recall on the vacuum pump assist problem!