Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Ignition lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 07:31 AM

Ignition lock problem

Hi, I own a 2008 HHR VIN 3GNDA33P88S524002. Lately it has been showing the following problem: every time I turn the ignition off and pull the key out when I open the door the chime stars sounding and stops only when i close the door.I noticed that when I pull the key out of the lock I don't hear anymore that familiar clicking sound.Currently I have the car in Europe (Italy) and GM is not represented here anymore.Thanks for your help!
Old 11-17-2017, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Have you had a new key cut?
Have your battery load tested, if it the OEM it could be time for a new one.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:31 AM
Technical Moderator

I don't know how they do recalls in Italy. That would likely fix it.

If not that then the Theft Deterrent Module may be flaky, you might look at fuse #10 labelled HVAC on the BCM (inside fuse box).

I am surprised you were allowed to import the car, you have 3 outstanding recalls. https://my.chevrolet.com/recalls
Old 11-17-2017, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Have you had a new key cut?
Have your battery load tested, if it the OEM it could be time for a new one.
No and Yes!
Old 11-17-2017, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I don't know how they do recalls in Italy. That would likely fix it.

If not that then the Theft Deterrent Module may be flaky, you might look at fuse #10 labelled HVAC on the BCM (inside fuse box).

I am surprised you were allowed to import the car, you have 3 outstanding recalls. https://my.chevrolet.com/recalls
Why are you surprised that I was allowed to import the car?It was done legally!I'll check those recalls.Thank you for the info.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:57 AM
Technical Moderator

Here is some maybe good news Chevrolet Italia - Scopri la gamma di auto, le offerte e i vantaggi GM claims that it is maintaining Authorized Repair Shops in Europe. I don't read Italian but the similar site for England has addresses.

I think the Opel dealerships are honoring GM recalls during the wind down.

I'm surprised that the inspectors allowed it. They get all picky about head and tail lights, I would think they would care about SAFETY related recalls.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Here is some maybe good news Chevrolet Italia - Scopri la gamma di auto, le offerte e i vantaggi GM claims that it is maintaining Authorized Repair Shops in Europe. I don't read Italian but the similar site for England has addresses.

I think the Opel dealerships are honoring GM recalls during the wind down.

I'm surprised that the inspectors allowed it. They get all picky about head and tail lights, I would think they would care about SAFETY related recalls.
The Chevrolet dealerships here sell the ex-Daewoo cars now rebranded Chevrolet and they service only those cars.I passed the inspection because I had the tail lights converted to comply with the local rules and paid all the import duties, they have no access to factory recalls.I think Chevrolet should have contacted me about the recalls since they have my Stateside address and my foreign address.I tried to check the recall site that you mentioned but I was denied access!I'm not a mechanic but I think something is wrong with the ignition lock and for the time being I won't be using the car until the problem is solved.Thanks for your help anyway!
Old 11-17-2017, 01:29 PM
Technical Moderator

Well I used your VIN and found that you need
N140992 Ignition switch replacement Feb 2014

N140113 REPLACE IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER AND IGNITION KEY April 2014
N080157 INSTRUMENT PANEL STORAGE BIN DOOR COMPLIANCE - ADD REINFORCEMENT BRACKET Sept 2008

All of the above were mailed out and HIGHLY publicized. We were even forced to start a whole forum dedicated to them. Everyone else knows about them.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-recall-campaigns-70/

I am guessing that you are also totally unaware of the extended warranties on the power steering motor and the gear shifter.

I am only going by what GM says they are doing about recalls and warranty for their cars since they sold Opel. The web site has contact info.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:52 AM

Hey donbrew,thanks for the info.No, I was not aware of the recalls and the extended warranties on the power steering motor and the gear shifter either. Yesterday I e-mailed GM about my problem and they replied confirming that they are unable to service their cars outside of the US but they sent a number I should call (which I will do on Mon).I would be happy if they sent replacements for the defective part/s to my US residence and I would take care of their installation at my expense over here.Let's wait and see,in the meantime the car stays in the garage.Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:11 AM
Technical Moderator

The ignition recalls are simple and easy, the storage bin was mailed to registered owners and is a double sided tape application intended to be compleat idiot applied.

Quick Reply: Ignition lock problem