GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

ignition recall again

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 01:36 PM
Premium Member

GM finally called me back today ( i havent drove my car since last week when i called ) . They stated that they already replaced the part and it comes only with a 1yr warranty. Since its beyond 1 yr im SOL.
Now I understand this on most things, but on a huge safety recall that this was, this should not be the case. They are telling me that I need to pay for the diagnostic and parts replacement + labor costs.
I then asked for their manager and she said the same thing. I reiterated that this is the part that GM made that was the fix to this recall and that a certified GM mechanic at a GM dealership had installed. If your so called "fix" doesnt work, you replace it
...they could care less for my concerns
I may be over thinking things but what happens if something happens today or tomorrow -getting into an accident, possibly killing myself or a passenger or a person in another vehicle because of this faulty part. I cant believe that they wont take responsibility on this, maybe do it as a "favor" or in good will and have it replaced for free.

Last GM vehicle for me ever. I really wish the government did not get involved to bail this company out. They should have gone under if they treat their customers like this.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:17 PM
Technical Moderator

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to replace it yourself, or a locksmith or the guy down the street that owns a screwdriver and a paper clip.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-GM-FACTO...gAAOxy9DRSBHhG

Old 09-10-2018, 03:02 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Don, but how do I know which is the new updated part number for the switch? Is the one you posted an actual updated part from a credible supplier?
i just want to make sure Im getting the correct one and not the old stock someone may be clearing from a warehouse

for example, i looked up the same part number in the ebay link on amazon and the old style keys are included with the ignition switch :
Amazon Amazon
Old 09-10-2018, 03:33 PM
Technical Moderator

The link I gave uses your key. it is a uncoded. You just remove your old pins and put them in the new cylinder. Of course, your problem may be the keys are worn out?

Theoretically GM destroyed the old parts. If you are really paranoid, I guess you could go to the GM parts dept and order a set coded to your VIN. You have the wrong keys now, I don't know why they would have given you Home Depot style blank. The official recall set was supposed to be special ordered for your VIN, Not a set of generic keys cut to fit. Maybe check with a locksmith.

And you never know if they are showing stock pix, seems nobody bothered to update their pix. You could probably find the part numbers if you waded through the recall thread; I think firemangeorge posted photos of the bag.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

Don. I'm pretty sure the plastic bag in my picture is just for the key rings. That part number on the bag would probably come back as that.
The switch, keys and rings came in 1 box. That's what the recall kit was. I took out the individual parts at the dealership parts counter so I could take that picture. I don't recall taking a picture of the actual box with the kit-part number.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Run your VIN to confirm your ignition recall was in fact done, try a different GM dealership!
Old 10-12-2018, 03:24 PM
Premium Member

GM Canada got back to me, this time a different customer service agent. I’m guessing that this escalated quickly as they say the calls are recorded.
This guy I was dealing with was nice and said that they would take care of the repair right away at no cost. Brought in the car yesterday, new part installed.
I now have the keys that are shown in the picture above (my previous ones did not look like that) and the housing is a shiny chrome-like piece

Old 10-12-2018, 04:09 PM
Technical Moderator

That is a different key than I got. Mine had a perfectly round hole just large enough for my key ring.

I suspect that the original job was done in a "customer satisfaction" rush before the recall parts were made available. They were trying to shut you up and blew the job.

This whole thing reminds of the old GM ignition key switch with the handle on them. Made so you could remove the key while the motor was running AND if you removed the key in the AUX position anybody walking by could start the car and drive off.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:52 PM

Boy ... That dealer is unbelievable in there behavior on this issue. Did the GM person that called to let you know they would cover it mention any apology for the Dealership people involved?
They just tried to push you to the curb on that one.
Glad to hear you stuck to your guns and got it handled.
Thanks for alerting us as well. I will check mine today.
Silverfox
Old 10-12-2018, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

skyline26
Yes, that key is different than the one I got. Mine in the picture I posted (post #12) , just has the Chevy emblem on it.
4 years after mine was done, maybe GM has a different vendor for their keys ?
Anyhow. Glad you were able to get it taken care of.

Quick Reply: ignition recall again