GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

ignition recall again

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 08:24 AM
Premium Member

ignition recall again

I had the recall done long time ago, pretty much as soon as this whole thing started. Just out of fluke yesterday while i was sitting in heavy stop and go traffic, i was messing with my key ring just flicking it and jiggling it and I noticed that the key felt loose. I never really noticed this before as you just turn the key and then let go and dont really touch it after that until you shut it down. BUT this time (yesterday) the key came right out! cylinder feels loose, teeth don't feel like they are grabbing. Whole thing feels loose. The car was ON, in DRIVE while all this happened.

I called GM Canada this morning and was told this is not normal for the ignition recall fix. They also said I am not the only person to report this happening after the fix. So i now have an open case file with them and waiting to hear back from them.

I suggest EVERYONE check out yours in case you also have a faulty one! People have died from this recall and yet GM's fix hasn't resolved the issue for many!
Old 09-06-2018, 08:29 AM
Technical Moderator

They probably replaced it out of stock instead of ordering the part. So many people were screaming at them the hour the recall came out, they didn't finishing reading the directions. When I had mine done, which was almost a year in, I had to wait about 45 days for the part. If you didn't have to wait that's it.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Please keep us posted, how GM deals with this.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:21 AM
Premium Member

I did have to wait, about a couple weeks for them to get in the new cylinders. They gave me new keys etc but like I said it did not solve the problem.
Just putting this out there in case this BS fix starts killing people again and another lawsuit comes up.

I was able to to replicate it while in my driveway, kept foot on brake while car was on and in drive and I could pull the key out easily without any resistance.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Well, it's been about 4 years since the recall was started. Haven't heard about anyone having issues with the fix until reading your post. If you have a problem, by all means take it back to a dealer and tell them your concerns with your car.
I had mine done at the beginning of the recall. The new switch has always been tighter feeling than the original was.
Making a blanket statement like ::"in case this BS fix starts killing people again and another lawsuit comes up. " well that's not a good idea.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Does that new key have the small round hole or the larger D shaped hole? It could be they used the wrong or old style parts for your recall.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:12 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Well, it's been about 4 years since the recall was started. Haven't heard about anyone having issues with the fix until reading your post. If you have a problem, by all means take it back to a dealer and tell them your concerns with your car.
I had mine done at the beginning of the recall. The new switch has always been tighter feeling than the original was.
Making a blanket statement like ::"in case this BS fix starts killing people again and another lawsuit comes up. " well that's not a good idea.

not really a blanket statement. I’m just trying to raise awareness in case GM tries to again sweep this issue under the rug. As I stated, the GM rep said this isn’t the first complaint about the fix. So there are a few others there with his same problem.
I really hope it is a very small amount of people
Old 09-06-2018, 01:14 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Does that new key have the small round hole or the larger D shaped hole? It could be they used the wrong or old style parts for your recall.
i cannot recall what style it is at this time. I dont have the car with me, I think it’s the one with the bigger hole. ??.. hmmm ..

i parked it and using my motorcycle for now till I hear back from GM
Old 09-06-2018, 01:27 PM
Technical Moderator

They were supposed to confiscate keys with the oblong hole. New keys have a circular hole.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

i will check the key when I get home from work today...but what I know for sure is that the new keys do not have any GM stamp on them. They are blank

Quick Reply: ignition recall again