GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

Key Stuck In Ignition Warrenty Extention - Not a recall #14632

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 02:04 PM
Administrator

The letter does state to submit receipts for reimbursement
Old 12-24-2014, 12:58 PM

I just got a letter from GM about this today: GM Recall Number 14632

A reimbursement form is included in the letter.

So far, it's been headliner recall, ignition switch recall, and shifter recall. I'll put this in the HHR file and just wait until they issue a formal recall for EPS and dump it off at the dealer and get them to give me a nice loaner to drive for however long it takes them to fix it all at the same time.

BTW, Merry Christmas, everybody.

Last edited by 08HHRPA; 12-27-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:07 PM

Today I received the extended coverage letter! I took it to the service department and of course, the manager is off until Monday because it's Christmas. I have 2 invoices (an $85. battery jump fee from 11/29 and a $64. service diagnostic [dealer fee] from 12/1) that I may or may not get reimbursed directly depending on if they consider it to fall under what this extension is covering but had I gone ahead with the repair, it'd be completely reimbursable. ugh. If the dealership doesn't feel they would be reimbursed and deny me, I'll definitely contact GM to make the request for reimbursement.

BTW, I had this lock up occur on 11/29 (less than 2 months after getting the recall parts replaced) and it makes me mad that the dealership didn't even have a clue about this new issue. I was told my problem was unlikely to be related to the recall parts and might occur randomly or never again but to be safe to replace it [either I had debris into the sensor area or the gearshift was failing is what I was told). Advised it would be $450.00 for a new gearshift plus labor, I declined and argued with my husband that I was tired of having to worrying what is next. I was one of the ''few'' whose car did fail while driving twice, and I thank God every day that the lives of my kids and myself were not in more serious peril. This happening while driving 20MPH on an empty side street has a very different outcome than that of 80MPH on a busy freeway.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:32 PM

Exclamation December 2014 Transmission/Ignition recall 14632

I just received news from GM that there may be an issue with the automatic transmission. When placed in PARK, it may not send an electronic signal to the ignition and will NOT allow the key to be moved to the OFF position and removed.

Recall #14632

This applies to at least the 2011 model year (that's how I got it), but the letter did not indicate if other model years might be affected as well.

It also says that it is not a mandatory recall; that this issue is to be addressed by the dealership only if this condition exists. They will cover this condition within 15 years, unlimited miles, regardless of new/used ownership, at no cost, and will reimburse any prior repairs paid by the owners.

Alicia Boler-Davis, Sr VP of quality & customer experience sends her apologies for the inconvenience.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:04 PM

Unhappy Having difficulty finding receipts from May 2009

I ran into this problem with my 2006 HHR LT on May 5, 2009. I drove to the dealer where I bought it in Martinsburg, WV (from Hagerstown, MD where it happened)

I took the reimbursement letter to Apple Valley Chevrolet in Martinsburg today because I hadn't remembered all the details from 5-1/2 years ago (duh). Well, it turns out they had diagnosed the problem and given me an estimate of $380 to fix it and shown me how to get the key out. Then I drove closer home to Charles Town and got it fixed over a few days at Alex Chevrolet. I'm supposed to have receipts now but Alex Chevrolet has been dead for several years. I did find several payments to Alex in my 2009 Diners Club account but I haven't yet found the actual receipts from Alex. This is getting more difficult....
Old 12-30-2014, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

It is NOT a recall people. It is a 15 year warranty from the date the vehicle was put into service. It is not a recall.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:53 AM

While it may or may not be a true recall in the purely technical sense, since we don't have an NHTSA campaign number, the closing line in the letter for my '08 HHR states:

Enclosure
GM Recall Number 14632

They have assigned it a recall number. It will be interesting to see if this goes the way of the ignition switch issues and grows into a full-on recall when it gets bad enough.

Last edited by 08HHRPA; 12-31-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

True that - and it is unfortunate that they used "recall" in the last sentence (even in Canada) - I think that wording will come back to bite them. :)
Old 12-31-2014, 12:37 PM
Technical Moderator

There oughta be a law.

Wait, there already is one.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by 08HHRPA
I just got a letter from GM about this today: GM Recall Number 14632

A reimbursement form is included in the letter.

So far, it's been headliner recall, ignition switch recall, and shifter recall. I'll put this in the HHR file and just wait until they issue a formal recall for EPS and dump it off at the dealer and get them to give me a nice loaner to drive for however long it takes them to fix it all at the same time.

BTW, Merry Christmas, everybody.
there was a headliner recall?

Quick Reply: Key Stuck In Ignition Warrenty Extention - Not a recall #14632