GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

Key Stuck In Ignition Warrenty Extention - Not a recall #14632

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by skyline26
there was a headliner recall?
Yeah, I never took care of that one, either. It's for '06 to '08 models without side impact airbags.

I'd have to look it up, but it essentially involves putting some piece of energy absorbing plastic or some such thing on the headliner at the sides where your head is likely to hit it in a side collision.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:10 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by skyline26
there was a headliner recall?
Some models with side curtain airbags were recalled.

I got 2 letters today, one for the long dead 2008 LT and one for the current 2011 LT.

Last edited by donbrew; 12-31-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:43 AM

I got the 15 year warranty letter regarding the shifter and the key getting stuck but posted it in the wrong place. I posted under General. Here is what I posted about the letter.
"Got a letter from Chevrolet today telling me that I may have a shifter problem which will keep me from removing key from ignition when vehicle is in park. They said don't take vehicle to Dealer unless you think you are having this problem. They said that if this problem occurs within 15 years they will take care of replacement.
QUESTION:
I have the shifter with the leather boot so I probably won't have this problem...am I thinking right? But if I do develop th problem I have a 15 year free pass to get it fixed."
Old 01-14-2015, 04:35 PM

Unhappy Recall or Special Coverage be careful

So on 01/12/2015 @ 9:00am I finally took my 06/HHR to get the recall and special coverage problems taken care of.

1 - Key/Switch recall 14063
2 - Loss of power steering special coverage 14119
3 - Key can not be released from ignition cylinder special coverage 14632

For my trouble I am given a rental car to use until the problems are taken care of. Later that afternoon I am told that the problem with the key not releasing is not covered and that my car is ready. Returning home I find later that evening that the repair order has no information regarding the status of repairs or tech notes for the key not able to released from ignition cylinder, yet the information for the complaint was on the repair order.

On 01/13/15 I called the dealer and spoke with them about this problem and made an appointment for the next morning to have this problem taken care of.

On 01/14/2015 @ 9:00am I am back into this same dealership to get this problem taken care of, (NOTE: the number of people at this dealership that don't know about this and the temporary bypass of pushing the release button inside the steering column amazes me) At that time I am told that since this is a special coverage repair I will be without transportation for the day.

As of 01/14/2015 @ 5:29pm I'm still wait for a call and a car!

PS. On a positive note I did find another problem with my HHR that should be on a Recall or Special Coverage, it seems that being able to accidentally bump the transmission into reverse is not a problem unique to my car!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:42 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by King_Robert
:

PS. On a positive note I did find another problem with my HHR that should be on a Recall or Special Coverage, it seems that being able to accidentally bump the transmission into reverse is not a problem unique to my car!
But it is related to the key removal problem. Maybe the fix will fix that also. It is part of the safety interlock system.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Didn't someone, relatively recently, have the same problem.......the gearshift can be "bumped" into reverse. ........and was told the same thing.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:13 AM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Didn't someone, relatively recently, have the same problem.......the gearshift can be "bumped" into reverse. ........and was told the same thing.
Yes.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:19 PM
Technical Moderator

One of the "old school" fixes for the "key stuck" was to disable the micro switch in the shifter. That enables the shifter to move without pushing the button.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:09 AM

I have this problem going on as we speak. I took it to GM they agreed it is the problem covered under that letter. They said they would order the parts and call me...Two weeks later and now after I called them that the parts are on national back order and they have no idea when they will be in. In the mean time this problem is getting alot worse by the day. Took me 10 minutes of starting and trying to get the shifter into a spot where it would release my key yesterday and then everywhere I had to stop. Told GM this and they pretty much said there isn't anything they can do. I don't know what to do in the mean time, I don't have anything else to drive, and I just want mine fixed. Ugh.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:38 AM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by nycamper
I have this problem going on as we speak. I took it to GM they agreed it is the problem covered under that letter. They said they would order the parts and call me...Two weeks later and now after I called them that the parts are on national back order and they have no idea when they will be in. In the mean time this problem is getting alot worse by the day. Took me 10 minutes of starting and trying to get the shifter into a spot where it would release my key yesterday and then everywhere I had to stop. Told GM this and they pretty much said there isn't anything they can do. I don't know what to do in the mean time, I don't have anything else to drive, and I just want mine fixed. Ugh.

Whatever you do, don't use the search to find the YouTube videos stickies in The how to area.

Quick Reply: Key Stuck In Ignition Warrenty Extention - Not a recall #14632