GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

Ignition Recall done, now ignition binds and won't turn.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 11:50 AM

Noise in steering wheel after recall work

Took my 2009 HHR in for the ignition switch and power steering motor recall. Now I have a grinding like sound when turning the steering wheel in either direction. I first noticed it when pulling into my garage after picking it up. Never had any noise before this. I have an appointment for them to look at tomorrow. Anybody else have any issues after having these recalls done?
Old 09-29-2014, 12:01 PM

Im going in tomorrow for the same thing, How long did it take for them to fix it?

Last edited by madashell; 09-29-2014 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-29-2014, 01:50 PM

I think it was about three hours for them to fix both the ignition switch and the power steering motor. I just dropped it off for the noise in the steering wheel. The service adviser said it could be the power steering motor they just replaced.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:49 AM

I just returned from having the steering motor being replaced it took less than an hr and everything seems ok
Old 10-01-2014, 10:29 AM

Hi madashell and shybull,

We’re sorry to hear of the difficulties that you both experienced with your vehicles after having the recall completed. We understand that you have taken your vehicles to the dealership for this concern. Feel free to follow up with us in regard to your visit. We look forward to hearing from you both!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-01-2014, 05:48 PM

They replaced the recently replaced power steering motor. No more noise. They said this has happened before.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:24 AM

GM refuses to stand behind their extended lifetime warranty of the power steering motor of my 2006 HHR. Now I have a rattle in my steering column from driving it without power steering for 5 days. Probably ruined something from having to yank the wheel to turn. Thanks GM!
Old 10-03-2014, 01:14 PM

We'd like to look into this concern for you, MCHHR. Feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name for further assistance. We truly apologize for the frustrations this situation has caused.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

Directed to Chevrolet Customer Service.......

You know, there is so much controversy regarding the "Lifetime Warranty" application for the Electric Power Steering Motor. Almost every owner understands the recall requirements. But conflicts appear continually for the 2006-2008 limited warranty. I don't believe anyone has been successful implementing the warranty repair......even though GM Media and the Federal Government have posted information relative to it. It even has a separate Bulletin Number of.....14119. GM Dealers essentially refuse to recognize it, as well as YOUR supervisors in the customer service group (they appear to check the VIN and mention it is not "listed").

I believe you, as the Chevrolet Customer Service Representatives, could do a valuable service to this forum and the owners of the HHR's that are covered in the WARRANTY.

So, I believe one of you should elect to champion this topic with GM management and bring some type of conclusion to all responsible parties.

If you resolve this issue, maybe then, some members here will consider your position more than a "social contact".
Old 10-03-2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
We'd like to look into this concern for you, MCHHR. Feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name for further assistance. We truly apologize for the frustrations this situation has caused.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I've PM'd you my information.

Quick Reply: Ignition Recall done, now ignition binds and won't turn.