GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

NOW there's a power steering recall on GM vehicles?! No, it's a warranty extension!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 05:39 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

Since you're new, I can tell you most things have been discussed many times on this forum. You can find just about any subject by using the Search function.

The power steering recall has a thread and has been discussed pretty throughly (and sometimes confusingly ) Anyhow. Here's a link to that thread:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-r...tension-50057/

If you can't find a subject or exact answer via the Search, then by all means ask away. We've got some really nice and knowledgeable members here. (and some cranky ones too, just like any forum has )

From online owners manuals to what will fit in the back of the HHR, you can pretty much find it on this site.

Welcome again.

P.S. When you get a chance, go to the Introductions section on this site and post up a hello and tell us a little about yourself and your HHR.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Did I miss something? I did not see that your EPS was broken. Fix is not replacing for no reason.
According to what I've read while looking my VIN up at the GM Recall site. My vehicle should be serviced for the EPS as it shows as INCOMPLETE, in spite of it not being "broken" at this time.

"...If the status field states “INCOMPLETE,” and your vehicle is a Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, HUMMER or Saturn please contact an authorized GM dealer to make arrangements to have your recall completed as parts become available...."*

So apparently you did miss something ?

Added: Chevy dealer returned my call and confirmed the EPS will need to be replaced on my 2009 LS in spite of no codes nor complaints from me (however steering has felt funky lately and that was initial reason for search). Their estimation was we are currently 6-7 weeks out on parts.

I mention this so that others may have clarification on this issue. I know my fear of chastising for not entering the proper search string led me to waste a good deal of time today reading thru chaff in this thread, rather than ask.

*https://recalls.gm.com

Last edited by toolbender; 08-11-2014 at 01:45 PM. Reason: addendum
Old 08-12-2014, 06:32 AM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by toolbender
According to what I've read while looking my VIN up at the GM Recall site. My vehicle should be serviced for the EPS as it shows as INCOMPLETE, in spite of it not being "broken" at this time.

"...If the status field states “INCOMPLETE,” and your vehicle is a Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, HUMMER or Saturn please contact an authorized GM dealer to make arrangements to have your recall completed as parts become available...."*

So apparently you did miss something ?

Added: Chevy dealer returned my call and confirmed the EPS will need to be replaced on my 2009 LS in spite of no codes nor complaints from me (however steering has felt funky lately and that was initial reason for search). Their estimation was we are currently 6-7 weeks out on parts.

I mention this so that others may have clarification on this issue. I know my fear of chastising for not entering the proper search string led me to waste a good deal of time today reading thru chaff in this thread, rather than ask.

*https://recalls.gm.com
The remark was in regard to 2006-2007 models that have the "Lifetime Warranty" provision instead of a recall. Evidently you missed something.

What more clarity is needed? The actual document and links to the GM site and the NHTSA site have repeatedly been posted in this mammoth thread.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by toolbender

I know my fear of chastising for not entering the proper search string led me to waste a good deal of time today reading thru chaff in this thread, rather than ask.
I don't get some of this "chastising" or other forms of by others when someone posts or starts a thread that covers topics that have already been covered. So flipping what? It's a forum for gods sake. Gimme a break
Old 08-13-2014, 09:19 AM
Technical Moderator

Scrolling is so hard.

What happens when the servers run out of space saving the same question and answer a million times?

Or, would it be better to silently ignore the question? Then you would get upset about being ignored.

How'd the chaff get there?
Old 08-13-2014, 09:55 AM

Its the sometimes snarky tone by some. This is supposed to be a fun enjoyable informative place to share in all things hhr's. No need to bust balls or get snippy about something that will always happen on forums. Why not just a simple reply but spare the poster the additional snark? Sometimes a quick direct answer vs. Searching and scrolling through massive posts to find perhaps the exactl answer is what is needed. Just saying. .
Old 08-15-2014, 05:02 PM

I just had the ignition issued repaired on my 2007, and during a driving test by the dealership, the power steering failure issue happened for the first time in my car. The issue is temporarily solved but shutting the car off and then back on. The dealership said it had nothing to do with the repair they did on my ignition and that if it continues to occur, I would need to get it fixed (on my dime!) It has happened SEVERAL times since that day. Not happy with that dealerships customer service, I now have an appointment with another nearby dealership who was the first to tell me about the recall (thought apparently 2007 are not currently on the approved list)...for now! They said they would be happy to check it out for me. I will update the forum when I know more about how Chevy is going to deal with this.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:00 AM

I received the letter today stating my 2008 eps motor is now covered for lifetime of the vehicle. I have only had the DIC message pop up twice in 7 years.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:56 AM
Banned

Yes, I agree this forum might flow smoother if those wanting to assist others would take an extra minute to locate the answer and provide a link, rather than reference the search bar. I mean, since they are familiar with the problem and can probably locate it much faster. One minute vs perhaps an hour of readage. Just sayin...

Last edited by Sundance; 08-19-2014 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Hissy Fit
Old 08-19-2014, 11:01 AM
Premium Member

just got my recall letter about it too last night..no issues on my end here, might as well do it for the lifetime warranty on it

Quick Reply: NOW there's a power steering recall on GM vehicles?! No, it's a warranty extension!