GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

problems after recall revisited.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 05:54 PM

Update:

GM customer service has been terrific. My car is being towed to a GM dealership by CAA, it is en route as I type this. GM wanted CAA to do nothing but tow the car and then GM employees will have a look at what is happening.

GM and CAA have made a difficult situation reasonably painless today.
Sincere thanks to all involved.

Ashleigh
Old 07-14-2014, 08:19 PM

Looks like I will have to follow up with my dealer. My battery tested fine (12.7 volts), but I'm getting a little over a 2 amp draw with everything turned off. According to the info I researched it should be no more than a 50 milliamp draw. Again this is on my daughters Cobalt with the new ignition and no other add on electronics. I will compare it to my HHR (which also has the new ignition).
Old 07-14-2014, 09:24 PM

Correction - I was rushing and didn't wait for the initial power up surge to dissipate after connecting the meter. I now show a more realistic 150 milliamps draw on the Cobalt and a 250 milliamp draw on the HHR. Both would still seem to exceed the expected 50 MA or less number. I'll do more research and testing tomorrow night.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by ashleighjbm
Update:

GM customer service has been terrific. My car is being towed to a GM dealership by CAA, it is en route as I type this. GM wanted CAA to do nothing but tow the car and then GM employees will have a look at what is happening.

GM and CAA have made a difficult situation reasonably painless today.
Sincere thanks to all involved.

Ashleigh
Hey Ashleigh,

We are very pleased to hear that this has been taken care of! We are always happy to help the best way possible . Enjoy your time in the states, and be sure to update us on how your vehicle is doing when you get back.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-15-2014, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by dano40
Looks like I will have to follow up with my dealer. My battery tested fine (12.7 volts), but I'm getting a little over a 2 amp draw with everything turned off. According to the info I researched it should be no more than a 50 milliamp draw. Again this is on my daughters Cobalt with the new ignition and no other add on electronics. I will compare it to my HHR (which also has the new ignition).
Hey dano40,

Let me know if any further assistance with this concern is needed on our end. We would be happy to document this on your behalf. We are just a private message away :).

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-15-2014, 11:51 AM

GM rep says the CAA guy took the key out of the ignition and handed it to someone at their lot when he dropped the car off.
GM rep went into the car this morning, and it started no problem, nothing was left on.
He is going to keep it in his lot and test it periodically to see if there is a problem.
If so, he will do a AVR (?) test.
He says it could have been a "glitch".
Old 07-15-2014, 11:53 AM
Premium Member

i have a feeling this recall is not related to the drain. There have been many HHRs (not sure about cobalts) that have had a short somewhere in the vehicle. Mine had this same issue before and they found the source (for the life of me I cant remember where, grrr sorry) and has been fine ever since. My HHR has had the ignition recall done already for about a month now with no problems. It has sat for 3 days and started up no problem!
Old 07-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

AVR test = http://www.kcautorepairweb.com/AVR.html
Old 07-15-2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by dano40
Correction -... I now show a more realistic 150 milliamps draw on the Cobalt and a 250 milliamp draw on the HHR. Both would still seem to exceed the expected 50 MA or less number. I'll do more research and testing tomorrow night.
Are these measurements taken immediately after turning the vehicle off? If so, wait about 20 minutes and then look at the measurements. This vehicle has something called RAP, Retained Accessory Power IIRC; this allows the vehicle to remain "alive" for a time period and does not shut off completely until the RAP period has expired. So all your measurements maybe OK if you wait and do not touch anything on the vehicle, open or close a door, sit on a seat - nothing at all!!!
Old 07-15-2014, 03:33 PM

Thanks Sno White, never heard of RAP, but it makes sense. I did open a door to shutoff the interior light. Tonight I will open the trunk and disconnect the bulb, then wait 30 minutes. Seems like when I connect the meter (ground side), I hear electrical noise indicating something powering up, but after 30 seconds or so the meter dropped down to the levels I reported. Do I need to wait longer for everything to settle after powering it? I will see if I have some alligator clips to make the connection easier to hold.

Quick Reply: problems after recall revisited.