HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

3 Things in 2 weeks :(

Old 04-22-2016, 09:26 AM

3 Things in 2 weeks :(

I wouldn't think that certain stuff would need replacing with only 85000 km on it...

Wife was driving from work a week ago and the engine temp got real hot (to the point where the warning came up) in stop and go traffic, but seemed OK while driving. Been fine until yesterday where it did that same thing.

Also threw an Engine Code 2 weeks ago, P0446 "Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction" which I thought was just a gap cap, but kept coming back after clearing the the code. So I have ordered a new solenoid for the evap system (was only $20 figured if it wasn't that oh well)

Third thing, realized while diagnosing the engine temp problem, that my AC doesn't work anymore (blows warm air only)

BUT - figured out the temp issue (which may also fix the AC problem) 40Amp fuse was fine, and the Fan Control module seemed OK too (had 14v output while car running) its the electric fan motor itself, pooched. Hard wired the fan motor to a spare battery and it won't turn at all, so now hopefully I can either get the whole assembly quick (fan shroud/assembly unique to SS) or just the motor and replace it.

Only problem I have now is, I have heard these LNFs dont ever like getting super hot. So now I may replace all the Dexcool, the T stat (aswell as the fan) but people have said prone to head gasket failure??
Old 04-22-2016, 09:41 AM
Technical Moderator

A. you got the valve near the gas tank?
B. if it overheated it would be a good idea to change the DexCool.
C. The A/C won't run if it's overheating.
D. don't worry about the head gasket until symptoms appear.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:20 AM

isnt it the valve near the tank?

Or Valve in engine bay, and solenoid by tank?
Old 04-22-2016, 10:29 AM
Technical Moderator

The names are confusing. The one you want is on the canister near the gas tank.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:50 AM

Agreed.

That is the one I got, I have the exploded view of it... (Uncle works in parts @ local GM dealership)

Ordered the Fan Assembly too. Up to 2 weeks out So HHR will be a driveway ornament for a bit, maybe I'll make the wife clean the inside in the meantime...