HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Advice Needed - Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 01:30 AM

Advice Needed - Mods

Don’t laugh but I have been looking at all the mods you guys have done and there are at least 25 I would like to do so I need to start prioritizing. I would like to know the top 3 performance mods for the SS and I am sure you will all agree what they are, HA!....Most bang for the buck kind of mods.

Also, is there a mod summary page that lists both performance and non-performance mods with associated cost/vendor? I am listing a few below but there could be other options/vendors so chime in…..example: are there other CAI kits available?

1) GMTU install – approximately $750 – dealership purchase/install.
2) CAI – Airaid – approximately $225 – raceandstreet.com
3) TTR Sway Bar – is this an upgrade for the SS or just the regular HHR? – approximately $170
4) Eibach lowering springs – not sure of cost and can you do this on the SS without losing performance? Basically are the lowering springs performance ratings the same or better than stock springs?
5) The infamous undetectable Trifecta tune – approximately $350.

The below mods are not performance related and are not specific to the SS (I think)....so are there non-performance mods specific to the SS I should be aware of?

6) LED Taillights – approximately $250 – raceandstreet.com
7) Stubby antenna ? – I guess I will understand why this mod is done when I see an SS up close.
8) Bowties and then more bowties, lol – seems to be very popular mod – some hating on the stock bowties for sure.

The non SS specific mods I will post in the other forums. Thanks
Old 10-30-2011, 06:00 AM
Premium Member

welcome to the ranks sounds like you are finding a few, bang for the buck ?

prolly Trifecta or the other guys I am going trifecta its a western Washington company but he does them all over by email. check with the rest of the guy's but I don't think you need both GMstg1 and trifecta. A dual tune will give you big power with it on and great mileage with it off.

If you choose trifecta first. you will want the motor mounts to get that new power to the ground. Which reminds me you will be wanting some tires that will put that power down too. Now that you can go fast you might come to a turn......Swaybar TTR's work good, I have one, but planning on upgrading it,when I get the bigger tire and wheels on,there are others made out there check the threads.

You are right there many to choose from couple I like is dual exhaust and custom dash but I'm sure I've done 30 and planning more, oh don't forget mud flaps save the paint.
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2011, 09:49 AM

my .02:

-if you are planning on getting a trifecta tune or an hp tuners tune there is really no need to get the gms1...just wasted money.
-the airraid intake you are looking at i believe is only for the 2.2/2.4....the intake options are very limited with the hhr ss model.
-the eibach springs look nice but i have seen multiple times where the springs break. i would look else where...maybe pedders
-ttr sway bar is nice...i have one and it works well...i am however going with a bigger bar once i get some fat wheels and coilovers
Old 10-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ATLsilverSS
my .02:

-if you are planning on getting a trifecta tune or an hp tuners tune there is really no need to get the gms1...just wasted money.
-the airraid intake you are looking at i believe is only for the 2.2/2.4....the intake options are very limited with the hhr ss model.
-the eibach springs look nice but i have seen multiple times where the springs break. i would look else where...maybe pedders
-ttr sway bar is nice...i have one and it works well...i am however going with a bigger bar once i get some fat wheels and coilovers
Good advice. Just remember. The OP hasn't got an HHR yet. He's just getting ideas and could end up with an SS,LT or LS.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:02 AM

Um, I am an OP? Should I ask what that means? Yes, I have not bought an HHR yet but definitely leaning toward the SS.

- SS fan - the dual exhaust and custom dash looks great. I will add that to the list.
- I did not realize the GMTU and the trifecta in essence accomplish the same thing. I think for now I would go with the GMTU to keep everything under warranty and do the trifecta in a year or two.
- I will research further on the sway bar and see what else is out there besides the TTR.

Keep those mods coming!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Deceased

OP = Original Poster in HHR.net talk. Just means you originated the first post and topic of discussion.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:54 AM

-if you are planning on getting a trifecta tune or an hp tuners tune there is really no need to get the gms1...just wasted money
Couldn't have said it better....

I learned the hard way...and got the GMS1 installed....then the Trifecta. I could have just spent the $350 bucks on the Trifecta and been good to go. I have over a grand in just tuning now. The Trifecta hands down puts the GMS1 to shame. Don't get me wrong..the GMS1 is really nice....but you can tell a HUGE differene between the two. Vince is the man!
Old 10-30-2011, 03:11 PM

Best bang for the buck mods for the SS in my book:

Catted or Catless Downpipe

Rear sway bar (TTR is good, there's also the Powell street and hardcore versions which are bigger/lighter/better, especially if you Frequently track the car.)

TTR motor mount and if you buy a manual, transmission mounts as well.

Pedders springs or a set of coilovers (Pedders, KW, Stance, etc).

There are more mods I can list, but these IMO are easy upgrades you can do yourself if you're handy and see immediate results from.

Later
Allex
Old 10-30-2011, 03:11 PM

If you are going to go HPTuners then get the GMTU. It gives you a good baseline to tune off of and the 3 bar TMAP's so you can read full boost on a scanner. If going Trifecta then you can probably forgo the GMTU and just contact Vince.
Definitely go with the TTR solid mounts and pick a rear sway bar. I am very happy with both of mine.
Have fun!
Old 10-30-2011, 03:16 PM
RFT

Originally Posted by Dementors1
I would like to know the top 3 performance mods for the SS
2) CAI – Airaid – approximately $225 – raceandstreet.com
5) The infamous undetectable Trifecta tune – approximately $350.
2:) For the SS, since you specifically mention only that here, if one is available, save the money and don't by a CAI. Chevy did a very good job designing this system. Spend that on down pipes, motor mounts, etc.

5:) It is not undetectable. It is just harder to find. Since this is out in the public, you can be sure GM is aware of it. Probably even know what specific tables to look at to find it by now.

As others have said, if you're looking for an aftermarket tune, don't bother getting the GMTU. It's a total waste of money

Quick Reply: Advice Needed - Mods