Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   HHR SS (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/)
-   -   Any tips for a manual transmission n00b? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/any-tips-manual-transmission-n00b-13568/)

DMcGrew 03-04-2008 08:25 AM

Any tips for a manual transmission n00b?

I stalled it on 2 hills this morning :( doh!! I'm fine going thru the gears and everything else but when I get stopped on a hill I'm like "oh ****". It didn't help that I was in a ton of traffic this morning with a car right on my ass on both hills. Is there any tips you guys can offer me? Is there some magical technique? LOL. I probably just need to practice.

DreamHHR 03-04-2008 08:46 AM

Practice finding and holding the car at the friction point, but don't stay there too long or you'll start getting a burning smell. Do it on a flat surface until you get the hang of it. Then you can do it uphill.

Yves

solman98 03-04-2008 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by DMcGrew (Post 243533)
I probably just need to practice.

That is a biggie there in itself. But from what I remember in my old drivers ed days when they actually taught you to drive a stick, use the emergency brake with the release button depressed. That way you can control roll back by raising/lowering the ebrake as you need. But practice will teach you on using the clutch the same.

I applaud you for giving it a go. :thumb:

DMcGrew 03-04-2008 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by solman98 (Post 243549)
That is a biggie there in itself. But from what I remember in my old drivers ed days when they actually taught you to drive a stick, use the emergency brake with the release button depressed. That way you can control roll back by raising/lowering the ebrake as you need. But practice will teach you on using the clutch the same.

I applaud you for giving it a go. :thumb:

Cool.. I've heard of using the E brake but never thought to use it with the button depressed.. thanks :)

solman98 03-04-2008 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by DMcGrew (Post 243550)
Cool.. I've heard of using the E brake but never thought to use it with the button depressed.. thanks :)

\

That way it won't lock on you and you get free movement. :thumb:

DMcGrew 03-04-2008 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by solman98 (Post 243551)
\

That way it won't lock on you and you get free movement. :thumb:

Exactly :)

itsallu 03-04-2008 09:38 AM

Gotta find where the clutch release keeps a grab on the gear and hold it as you watch the opposing light changes to yellow. Just touch a little gas during the process while your holding it there and then rocket out with 260hp!

2ohturbo 03-04-2008 08:13 PM

or watch your tires go up in smoke with 260hp:lol:

Old Ray 03-04-2008 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by DMcGrew (Post 243550)

If you get caught at a red light on a hill and because you have (I hope) only two feet you can also apply the emergency brake to hold yourself there and then as the light changes release the clutch and accelerate slightly against the applied brake before releasing it. :smile:

DMcGrew 03-05-2008 06:39 AM

I found a nice long hill last night and did a few stop and goes on it :) I think I'm catching on pretty good now. The real test will be in the traffic this morning lol