Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   HHR SS (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/)
-   -   Backfire under normal driving (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/backfire-under-normal-driving-25981/)

jas89tta 10-01-2009 07:20 PM

Backfire under normal driving

Is it normal for these to backfire/popping sound while driving normal? I've noticed it a few time mostly when I'm in 1st gear and push in the clutch but have noticed it when shifting into 3rd. Car seems to drive fine no ses lights or issues other than the backfire. Did it today while driving in a parking lot :red: just wondering if it's normal on the LNF Thanks, Jason

Goody 10-01-2009 11:16 PM

the exhaust (though mostly mellow) does have quite a rasp to it. It's most likely you're hearing/experiencing the raspiness w/ popping and not backfiring.

jas89tta 10-02-2009 07:35 AM

Could be. It just that one loud pop sounds like it backfired and it's not all the time. I figured it had something to do with the DI on these cars.

bartSS 10-02-2009 10:33 AM

You have a downpipe on that badboy so yeah it will backfire a little bit. Mine does it all the time

RaineMan 10-02-2009 11:02 AM

Welcome to driving a performance car.

jas89tta 10-02-2009 11:20 AM

bartSS, Thanks that all I needed to know. RaineMan, I drive my TTA around with a open dump and it never sounds like a backfire the only loud pop I've heard from it is when the headgasket blew :lol:

RaineMan 10-02-2009 11:28 AM

Well, what can I say? My 06 SS/SC with Stage 2 crackled and popped though the tailpipe all the time... was kinda entertaining to cruise through a parking lot in 2nd and see how many car alarms I could set off.

jas89tta 10-02-2009 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by RaineMan (Post 416295)
Well, what can I say? My 06 SS/SC with Stage 2 crackled and popped though the tailpipe all the time... was kinda entertaining to cruise through a parking lot in 2nd and see how many car alarms I could set off.

I know what you mean :lol: When the dump is open it's loud as hell at idle and normal driving but once it gets going all you here is the sweet turbo sound :p:

Sneezy 10-16-2009 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by RaineMan (Post 416288)
Welcome to driving a performance car.

My HHR SS does this and out of all the fuel injected performance cars I have had, this is the first to do it. It's not normal. Now my carburated Mustang......sure with ease.

Fuel injection, no way.

My dad is back to driving mine again since I can't drive right now. It's all I can do to keep from trading it in on something else. Might get a Camaro in the spring, might not.

One thing is for sure, I hate my HHR and all the damn little problems that go with it. The dealer gets it this week to finish all of the warranty stuff, TSB's ect. Maybe I'll like it when I get it back.

HHRSSouth 10-16-2009 07:53 PM

Yes it is normal to have a back fire when replacing the factory down pipe with a higher flowing after market on a turbo vehicle. My Grand National did it, my Talon awd turbo did it, and my project awd van turbo is doing it. All of them were fuel injected, my carbureted Trans Am and Monte Carlo, had full exhaust with no cats, only mufflers and never did it.