Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   HHR SS (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/)
-   -   Brake Pump TSB (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/brake-pump-tsb-41256/)

ckriensky 06-07-2012 08:06 PM

Brake Pump TSB

I brought my SS in to have the brake assist pump TSB installed. It has ben there for 11 days so far. Does it take this long to install? Thankfully I use this vehicle very little and mostly just tow it behind my RV. I hate dealers.

firemangeorge 06-07-2012 08:14 PM

In short, NO. Sounds like they are waiting on parts. Me personally, I would not leave a vehicle while someone waits for parts(unless the vehicle is inoperable)

843de 06-08-2012 12:58 AM

Shoot a PM to ChevroletCustomerService ckriensky, and I'm sure that Michelle at Chevy would be glad to look into this for you.

hyperv6 06-08-2012 09:27 AM

I agree it sounds like they are waiting for parts. I had mine done and I dropped it off in the AM and it was done by 1 PM.

They had the parts in stock.

Not sure why they would keep it if they knew they did not have the parts? But to be honest 11 days is a bit much even for a out of stock part and if it is a GM back ordered part they should have told you.

I would question this dealer.

Too many good dealers to fool with any bad ones.

I would have been asking questions if I did not have the car in 1-2 days and I would want to know the full story why. I would also want updates. My Chevy dealer does this with no need to ask.

Kevin3492 06-08-2012 09:35 AM

When mine was done, they also had my SS for several days due to parts. However, they did provide a rental car. I "assume" it may be considered a safety issue. My $0.02

JAMIROBri 06-08-2012 11:33 AM

I finally dropped my car off today for this fix. It took them nearly 2 weeks to get the parts. I drove the car during that wait though. Hopefully they'll fix my pull to the left while it's there. The wait for that fix has been over a month now.

Brian

ChevroletCustomerService 06-08-2012 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by JAMIROBri (Post 649513)
I finally dropped my car off today for this fix. It took them nearly 2 weeks to get the parts. I drove the car during that wait though. Hopefully they'll fix my pull to the left while it's there. The wait for that fix has been over a month now.

Brian

Let me know how things are when you pick up your HHR. I hope you have a great weekend.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

ChevroletCustomerService 06-08-2012 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by 843de (Post 649424)
Shoot a PM to ChevroletCustomerService ckriensky, and I'm sure that Michelle at Chevy would be glad to look into this for you.

Thanks Mike. This is taken care of. LOL

I hope you have a great weekend and take time to get that back healed.

843de 06-08-2012 06:38 PM

Thanks Michelle, I'm taking it easy, have a great weekend too.:smile:

ChevroletCustomerService 06-11-2012 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by 843de (Post 649595)
Thanks Michelle, I'm taking it easy, have a great weekend too.:smile:

I had a great weekend!!! Glad you are letting yourself heal.

Happy Monday!!!

JAMIROBri 06-11-2012 01:37 PM

Well, they didn't work on my car again after having it sit there all day. I'm dropping it off again on Wednesday so hopefully they'll fix it finally...

rlee63a4 06-11-2012 05:11 PM

Hello, I had the pump installed recently,and the brakes at cold start work great. Do you happen to know what the effect on engine/turbo performance would be if the technician did not perform Step 40 in TSB #09-05-22-001A that says: "If the vehicle had the Stage 1 turbo upgrade kit installed prior to getting the vacuum pump retrofit, the technician should now contact Techline to get the revised Stage 1 calibrations for the ECM." and instead simply stopped at Step 39 as in the original TSB to "Reprogram the engine control module (ECM) and electronic brake control module (EBCM) with updated calibration files using the TIS2WEB Service Programming System (SPS)"?

Regards,

Ron

firemangeorge 06-11-2012 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by rlee63a4 (Post 650166)
Hello, I had the pump installed recently,and the brakes at cold start work great. Do you happen to know what the effect on engine/turbo performance would be if the technician did not perform Step 40 in TSB #09-05-22-001A that says: "If the vehicle had the Stage 1 turbo upgrade kit installed prior to getting the vacuum pump retrofit, the technician should now contact Techline to get the revised Stage 1 calibrations for the ECM." and instead simply stopped at Step 39 as in the original TSB to "Reprogram the engine control module (ECM) and electronic brake control module (EBCM) with updated calibration files using the TIS2WEB Service Programming System (SPS)"?

Regards,

Ron

Welcome to the site Ron.
Good question. I would assume it would still have the original turbo upgrade reflash. If the tech didn't revise or update it, then you could possibly have some errant codes pop up or even a loss in WOT boost pressure. Not really sure about this one.
Best bet is to call the dealer that did the pump install. They can contact Techline and verify that the reflash update was done based on your vin number.

bigjacksauto 06-11-2012 06:55 PM

It took my dealer lest than a week to get my parts and a day to install with all the brackets etc. They had listed.
After reading this my? Is what if you have the vacuum pump added and Then later on have the gm Turbo upgrade installed?
Is there a different flash for the computer?
I would not think so?

rlee63a4 06-11-2012 07:39 PM

Then explain these last two steps from the amended TSB #09-05-22-001A noting that Step 40 was added for vehicles that had the turbo upgrade BEFORE the vacuum pump mod. So, there's got to be something different between the flashes AFTER the pump is added. Otherwise, why contact the Tech Line to get revise Stage 1 calibration for the ECM?

"This bulletin is being revised to add step 40 to the vacuum pump installation procedure. Please discard Corporate Bulletin 09-05-22-001 (Section 05 — Brakes)."
39. Reprogram the engine control module (ECM) and electronic brake control module (EBCM) with updated calibration files using the TIS2WEB Service Programming System (SPS).

40. If the vehicle had the Stage 1 turbo upgrade kit installed prior to getting the vacuum pump retrofit, the technician should now contact Techline to get the revised Stage 1 calibrations for the ECM.

firemangeorge 06-11-2012 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by bigjacksauto (Post 650193)
It took my dealer lest than a week to get my parts and a day to install with all the brackets etc. They had listed.
After reading this my? Is what if you have the vacuum pump added and Then later on have the gm Turbo upgrade installed?
Is there a different flash for the computer?
I would not think so?

Yes. If you have the turbo upgrade added there are 2 different reflashes. One for those with the brake vacuum pump. One for those without. Also remember that these 2 reflashes are for the automatic transmission SS's.
To simplify: If you get either upgrade(turbo or brake pump) it has to be reflashed. Doesn't matter which order you get them.
Just to confuse you, the 5 speed SS's get a different turbo upgrade reflash than the automatics do.

ChevroletCustomerService 06-12-2012 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by JAMIROBri (Post 650119)
Well, they didn't work on my car again after having it sit there all day. I'm dropping it off again on Wednesday so hopefully they'll fix it finally...

Thank you for sharing the update. Have they provided you a reason that they can't get this resolved for you in your prior visits?

bigjacksauto 06-12-2012 02:12 PM

Thanks fireman for the info
either way you get 290 good right?
Rlee did u find out if they reflashed or not?
If they did not Then hopefully they will do it soon.

AC66Bronco 06-13-2012 02:18 PM

What year cars does this effect? What are the symptoms of it if it needs to be done?

843de 06-13-2012 02:26 PM

Here's the thumbnail version of the TSB for you AC66....

#09-05-22-001: Hard Brake Pedal, Extra Effort Needed to Depress Brake Pedal on Cold Start-Up (Add Auxiliary Vacuum Pump) - (Jan 22, 2009)

Subject: Hard Brake Pedal, Extra Effort Needed to Depress Brake Pedal on Cold Start-up (Add Auxiliary Vacuum Pump)

Models: 2008-2009 Chevrolet HHR SS

Built Prior to January 2009 and Equipped with Automatic Transmission

Attention: Proceed with this bulletin ONLY if a customer has brought their vehicle in for this concern. For vehicles in inventory or in the service department for an unrelated customer concern, review Bulletin # 08-05-22-001A to reprogram EBCM built prior to and including VIN Breakpoint 8S653008.

Condition
Some customers may comment that extra effort may be needed to depress the brake pedal on cold start-up.

Correction
Add an auxiliary vacuum booster pump to the brake system using the procedure listed below.

AC66Bronco 06-14-2012 12:23 PM

TY 843.

Looks like I must not be effected as I have a 2010 SS.

One thing I do notice is that The brakes seem soft after sitting over night but they firm up and all is normal after a few min.

Sorry I was freaking out and didn't know if what I was experiencing was this TSB.

843de 06-14-2012 02:03 PM

Its normal to bleed off vacuum as a vehicle sits overnight or longer, you can get a "long" or soft pedal initially but it'll go away shortly. If you have issues with little or no brake boost, or if it takes more than a minute or so to build up, have it checked out.

hyperv6 06-14-2012 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by AC66Bronco (Post 650855)
TY 843.

One thing I do notice is that The brakes seem soft after sitting over night but they firm up and all is normal after a few min.

Sorry I was freaking out and didn't know if what I was experiencing was this TSB.

Trust me you would know if you had the issue. When you step on the pedal and it feels like you are stepping on a rock and not slowing down you know you have the issue.

hyperv6 06-14-2012 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by 843de (Post 650886)
Its normal to bleed off vacuum as a vehicle sits overnight or longer, you can get a "long" or soft pedal initially but it'll go away shortly. If you have issues with little or no brake boost, or if it takes more than a minute or so to build up, have it checked out.

I have heard the slow build up has to do with the engine VVT timing on the turbo engine when used with an Automatic tranny. The low start up vaccume and the pull from the tranny makes for the slow build up.

firemangeorge 06-14-2012 05:25 PM

Oh the memories. A 350 Olds engine with 308 duration,474 lift cam. AND NO VACUUM AT IDLE for the power brakes. Had to put a vacuum can on it.:lol:

843de 06-14-2012 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6 (Post 650934)
I have heard the slow build up has to do with the engine VVT timing on the turbo engine when used with an Automatic tranny. The low start up vaccume and the pull from the tranny makes for the slow build up.

:twothumbs: Excellent point, turbo engines are known for having little or no vacuum at idle, and it takes 'em time to build up.

JAMIROBri 06-15-2012 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService (Post 650373)
Thank you for sharing the update. Have they provided you a reason that they can't get this resolved for you in your prior visits?

The car went in Wednesday and I picked it up yesterday (Thursday) with the brake pump installed. I should ask them about the comp. reflash though since I did have the Turbo Upgrade before the fix. Also, my car still pulls to the left even though they said this would fix it. Not sure why they thought a brake pump would fix the car pulling to the left...

Brian

HHR_SS_QC 06-15-2012 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by AC66Bronco (Post 650855)
TY 843.

Bronco;

If your 2010 SS is an automatic, then it left the factory with the pump already installed.