Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   HHR SS (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/)
-   -   Can the Ecotec LTG (Gen 3) motor be used to replace the LNF (Gen 2) motor in my 08 SS (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/can-ecotec-ltg-gen-3-motor-used-replace-lnf-gen-2-motor-my-08-ss-52399/)

todman2 11-27-2014 11:41 AM

Can the Ecotec LTG (Gen 3) motor be used to replace the LNF (Gen 2) motor in my 08 SS

I have been working to save my 2008 HHR SS which has a damaged motor from a timing chain tensioner failing.

I found a 2014 2.0 Ecotec LTG (Gen III) with 7K at a very good price. I cannot find any information about being able to use this motor instead of the LNF (gen II) motor.

Is there big differences which prevent this engine swap. Can the original ECU be used with a gen lll motor

Any information or advice would be appreciated. If there are post about this kind of swap sorry about repeating as I could not locate.

donbrew 11-27-2014 12:06 PM

If your ECU could be used it would need new firmware.

Anything is possible, if you got the money. This would not be a project for a first timer.

The physical fit may be good, you would need to measure. The intercooler is probably different. The wiring harness is most likely different. I think the transmissions are the same, but probably programmed different.

You could probably get away with using the donor ECU and TCM.

Oldblue 11-27-2014 01:14 PM

I Googled the two engines and they are worlds apart, however if you are able to have a look at the engine of a Cadillac ATS you could measure and maybe I'm out in left field but it looks like a North / South orientation

07azhhr 11-27-2014 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 765287)
I Googled the two engines and they are worlds apart, however if you are able to have a look at the engine of a Cadillac ATS you could measure and maybe I'm out in left field but it looks like a North / South orientation

The ATS is rear wheel drive thus the orientation difference. A more correct view would be found in the Buick Regal GS, Verano and Chevy Malibu.

firemangeorge 11-27-2014 02:45 PM

Well, it appears that the intake and exhaust systems are on the opposite sides with the newer LTG compared to the old LNF.
This alone would be a HUGE obstacle to overcome in getting that engine in your SS.
I'm sure there's about a million other reasons/mods/swaps that would need to be done to make it work.

In my book it's not worth the time, aggravation or extra money you would need.

Oldblue 11-27-2014 02:47 PM

ZZP has new crate LNF engines on E-bay Gen III for a good price just a thought

todman2 12-02-2014 04:09 AM

Thanks for all the information from those who replied

XtremeSS 12-09-2014 08:40 PM

The gm engines that are almost a direct swap are the LHU and LDK. You may be better off goin with the LDK because it is higher compression and internals are said to withstand 500hp. ZZP sells a new LDK long block for pretty cheap actually, and will give you everything you need for the LDK swap.

hogdoghd 01-01-2015 09:54 AM

I have the Zzp ldk in my 08 ss and its pretty nice!! Seems to run good!! I don't know if it has more power but its a good upgrade if you need an engine!