HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Fuel in oil (a lot) with new LDK motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 06:28 PM

Fuel in oil (a lot) with new LDK motor

I have discovered that I am getting at lot of fuel in my crankcase oil. This doesn't seem to be an issue that is common in this HHR forum but I did find some info on one of the other sites that use the LNF engine.
I discovered it when checking my oil, it had risen over a 1/4" plus there was always a smell of fuel around the car. I was lucky I didn't hurt the new motor!

So it appears that it could either be a bad HPFP leaking fuel past its seal and into the camshaft area then into the oil OR some problem with the injector(s) themselves maybe hanging open and leaking fuel into the crankcase past the rings.

The HPFP and injectors came from my original LNF motor with 105,000 miles on them. The original LNF died from a coolant leak into the oil, likely from a head gasket issue but could not be verified. So rather than taking a chance on the old motor I bought a ZZP LDK and installed it myself.

I have ordered a new HPFP from ZZP and will install it regardless of the diagnosis of the old HPFP. I've read one clue to look for is when the HPFP comes off, look in the plunger area and see if it is clean or oily. If oily not likely an HPFP issue. IF clean, fuel is being leaked/sprayed in there stripping the oil off the plunger area and into the crankcase due to a bad internal seal.

If I still get the fuel in the crankcase after replacement of the HPFP, I will replace the injectors.

BTW, I do not have any codes indicating at all. I just got it smogged and it came out clean.

On a side note:
The new LDK makes great power down low but doesn't seem to make as much power as the LNF did in the mid range. The LNF would set you back in the seat a little when you nail it at freeway speed and the LDK will not do it even though it gives me the same boost number (~17psi). This might be a clue to an injector issue since it is boosting the same.
The car is an Automatic.

If anybody has any other ideas let me know. I will update this thread as I make progress.

Randy D

Last edited by HHRssrfun; 05-25-2017 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Auto Transmission.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:06 PM
Administrator

The lack of power could be HPFP related and injectors, I'd replace them also.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:26 PM

I can't imagine that much fuel going into the combustion chamber(s) and not setting a code for rich A/F. You might be on the right track about the HPFP. If it's leaking pressure(fuel) into the crankcase, you may very well see lack of power like you have described.

Just be sure that it is actually fuel in the oil, not something else. You could drain the oil and send it for analysis. The fuel smell could be an external leak, or maybe an evap issue.

It's been unusually wet this year, I'm catching quite a bit of water (vapor) in my catch cans, which comes from the crankcase. I guess it enters the air intake, into the combustion chamber, and some gets forced past the rings(cyl #4 is not great), especially at boost. If you're still breaking in your rings, it could be that.

It always seems to me that my oil level is a bit higher than right after an oil change. I may have some issue too.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
The lack of power could be HPFP related and injectors, I'd replace them also.
Thanks for the advice blue. I went to get the last Zzp set of injectors and someone bought them today!!!!
So I will install the HPFP tomorrow and see how the power turns out.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
I can't imagine that much fuel going into the combustion chamber(s) and not setting a code for rich A/F. You might be on the right track about the HPFP. If it's leaking pressure(fuel) into the crankcase, you may very well see lack of power like you have described.

Just be sure that it is actually fuel in the oil, not something else. You could drain the oil and send it for analysis. The fuel smell could be an external leak, or maybe an evap issue.

It's been unusually wet this year, I'm catching quite a bit of water (vapor) in my catch cans, which comes from the crankcase. I guess it enters the air intake, into the combustion chamber, and some gets forced past the rings(cyl #4 is not great), especially at boost. If you're still breaking in your rings, it could be that.

It always seems to me that my oil level is a bit higher than right after an oil change. I may have some issue too.
RJ, the thought was maybe the injector(s) hang open after the engine shuts off and discharge the fuel into the cylinder(s) and into the crankcase from the pressurized fuel rail.

There is no question that it is fuel. I even got some fuel mixture in my catchcan (that you wrote up how to install).
Old 05-26-2017, 06:16 AM
Administrator

There's these

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/clas...w-price-57307/

Just in case!
Old 05-26-2017, 08:06 PM

Installed the new HPFP this morning but I don't think it was the problem. The plunger area shows quite a bit of oil. Power might have been slightly better but was hard to tell the difference. Looks like I should order new injectors next.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:14 AM
Technical Moderator

Did you check the spark plugs?
Old 05-27-2017, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Are they gas soaked! The combustion chambers should be full of fuel and the fuel level in the gas tank go down accordingly
Old 05-27-2017, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Did you check the spark plugs?
No I didn't. I ment to, but forgot when the air cleaner was removed.
I will get to it this weekend and update.

Quick Reply: Fuel in oil (a lot) with new LDK motor