Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   HHR SS (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/)
-   -   had to let the SS go (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/had-let-ss-go-51141/)

foxtrotraptor 07-16-2014 03:06 AM

had to let the SS go

I'm not sure if I'm putting this in the correct section but I just wanted to say that I no longer have my HHR SS. Due to the many problems I have with as well as MPGs I decided to trade her in for a new Toyota Corolla Sport. Thanks to this forum I learned a lot. Thanks again for all the help and input:twothumbs:

whopper 07-16-2014 03:23 AM

I bumped it over into the SS section for you foxtrotraptor.

Sorry to see you go - pop back in after you get some wheel time with the Corolla Sport, and give us a review if you can. All the best to you and your new ride.

foxtrotraptor 07-17-2014 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by whopper (Post 753051)
I bumped it over into the SS section for you foxtrotraptor.

Sorry to see you go - pop back in after you get some wheel time with the Corolla Sport, and give us a review if you can. All the best to you and your new ride.

Thanks man. Yeah I will. So far it's pretty darn cool. Of course it's not even close to being as fast as my old SS but oddly enough the interior is a lot sportier and the handling is pretty impressive . Haven't been able to push it yet. It's gonna be awhile while I break in the engine. But once I have more info then yeah I'll post a review if you guys are interested

Oldblue 07-17-2014 12:05 PM

Best of luck with your new ride!

foxtrotraptor 07-24-2014 03:51 PM

So after having my ride I think I can give a solid review.

My prior ride: 2008 HHR SS automatic. Main moods included GMTU upgrade, wider tires, ttr sway bar and motor mount, muffler delete with zzp resonator and zzp gauge pod with interceptor gauge.

I traded my SS in for a 2014 Toyota Corolla Sport with the "Plus" package. Reasons why were mainly due to the mechanical problems and MPGs. Seems like id fix one thing and something else would stop working and at 56K I shouldn't have been having all these problems. I also do only city driving and 17MPG with premium gas was killing me.

Keep in mind Ive NEVER liked imports especially Toyota because I have always thought they were boring. So that being said here we go.

2014 Toyota Corolla Sport with the "plus" package.
Main features include:

INTERIOR:

Leather wrapped 3 spoke steering wheel with paddle shifters Tilt/telescopic
Leather/mesh fabric sport bucket seats
6.1 inch in dash radio
Leather with white stitching all around
Sport gauges with Multi-Information Display
"Sport" mode button
Automatic "eco" mode
Gated shifter with Manual Mode
USB/AUX/Blue Tooth Connection
Automatic climate control
Integrated backup camera
Power windows with driver-side one-touch up/down
Stability Control (VSC)
Traction Control (TRAC)
Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)
Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
Brake Assist (BA)
Smart Stop Technology (SST)
Eight airbags includes driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System driver and front passenger seat-mounted side airbags
driver knee airbag
passenger seat-cushion airbag
front and rear side curtain airbags

EXTERIOR:

LED low-beam headlights
Integrated fog lights
Exclusive Aggressive Front Bumper
Rear Spoiler
17-in Polished Aluminum/Black rims with 215/45 W rated tires
Chrome-tipped exhaust

PERFORMANCE:

1.8-Liter 4-Cylinder DOHC 16-Valve with Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i); 132 hp @ 6000 rpm, 128 lb.-ft. @ 4400 rpm (SLOW I KNOW :/)
Normal and Sport driving modes
ECO driving mode (always on unless in SPORT mode)
7 Speed Continuously Variable Transmission with intelligence and Shift Mode (CVTi-S)
Independent MacPherson strut front suspension with stabilizer bar
torsion beam rear suspension with rear stabilizer bar
Stiffer suspension and different spring rates compared to base model
Power-assisted ventilated 10.8-in. front disc brakes
solid 10.2-in. rear disc brakes and Star Safety System
Curb weight is 2865

Ok now that's out of the way here is my driving experience. As you can see the power difference is pretty big between my old SS and this Corolla S. Of course I expected this I mean it is a Corolla I wasn't expecting a fast car, but regardless this Sport model does have its quality's. Even thou its not fast on paper or on the track it does "feel" fast while driving especially in sport mode (ill get to that later). Its high revving and nimble and quick navigation between slow drivers is very easy thanks to the way the transmission shifts. The exhaust note is surprisingly not as weak as I thought it would be, although the engine can be a little buzzy at higher RPMs. The Manual mode with either the stick or paddle shifters is a nice touch is very responsive, its a lot of fun to use. Also a quiet and smooth ride.

Sport Mode. All Corolla S's have a button near the shifter called "sport" you push the button and the ECU works instantly changing RPM shift points alot higher, down shifting is spot on, steering dynamics are also changed so you get more of a stiffer/more solid steering wheel feel, Makes a big difference in the twisty roads. I took this ride to the same places I use to drive my SS and took it down at the same speed and It handled perfectly with no body roll which was very impressive. I know this isn't an FRS but considering it could handle the same road as my old SS is something to talk about. With sport mode high revs and downshifting the curvy roads can be pretty fun, I'm sure if I got some wider tires it would improve handling even more.

Fule Economy is amazing. I do nothing but heavy city driving and im getting an average of 32 city. Compared to my 17 on my SS. Highway should get me about 38 to 40 and it only uses regular gas which is a major plus for the wallet.

Exterior: As far as looks I guess you can say it can be polarizing like the HHR. The look is by far more aggressive than the older corollas. The grill, the LED lights, the Small rear spoiler all add to the sportiness. This may not be a good track performer but sure does look the part. My ride is a Slate Gray Metallic which looks awesome with the 17inch Silver and Black rims.

Interior: By far the biggest improvement compared to my SS. The seats are amazing they look great with Leather/Mesh fabric with white stitching, comes in either Blue, Orange or Gray, I got the gray interior. They keep you locked in with nice comfy side bolsters, you feel like your sitting "in" the seat instead of "on" the seat. No sliding around on curvy roads in these seats. The shift also looks and feels great in your hands. The 6.1 in-dash along with the back up camera are a nice touch. Very nice materials overall and piano black with blue strips around the dash give it a more classy/sporty look. The gauges are also great with a nice Blue Glow. Big RPM and Speedo gauges with temp and fuel just underneath.

So I believe that about covers everything. In the end although I gave up the HP, I still for the most part retained the sporty handling and looks of my old SS. Still plenty of room for my baby and cargo, rear leg space is great, and less HP means less temptation for me since I am currently waiting to pay a speeding ticket I got.

It was hard to let it go, but in the end I feel that in my situation and current life style it was the best choice and best investment I could make. From someone like myself who did not like imports, I must say that Toyota Changed my mind. They are by no means perfect just like any other car company, and I still feel that the FRS is totally over priced lol....but I feel they did it right with the Corolla S.

Any questions or comments are welcome. :twothumbs:

Tyler Harvey 07-24-2014 04:05 PM

Take care, sad to see another member leave.

foxtrotraptor 07-25-2014 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tyler Harvey (Post 753761)
Take care, sad to see another member leave.

Thanks, it wasn't easy letting her go

whopper 07-26-2014 10:23 AM

Now that was what I call a great review man. You will be pretty happy with it - they do make great cars. I've had two of them over the years, but our local dealer's service kinda sucks so I switched brands.

We had a Corolla a year ago as a body shop courtesy car, and we were pretty darned impressed - and it was a basic model, nothing fancy at all. We especially liked the ride quality, and the fit and finish was excellent.

May it give you many happy and reliable miles.

Oh, ahem........ pictures, pictures? "cough cough" ;)

foxtrotraptor 07-27-2014 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by whopper (Post 753921)
Now that was what I call a great review man. You will be pretty happy with it - they do make great cars. I've had two of them over the years, but our local dealer's service kinda sucks so I switched brands.

We had a Corolla a year ago as a body shop courtesy car, and we were pretty darned impressed - and it was a basic model, nothing fancy at all. We especially liked the ride quality, and the fit and finish was excellent.

May it give you many happy and reliable miles.

Oh, ahem........ pictures, pictures? "cough cough" ;)

Thank you sir. Yeah its my first import and im pretty impressed, and ill post up some pics in a min

foxtrotraptor 07-27-2014 01:21 AM

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...64566356_n.jpg

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...17221967_n.jpg

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...09954744_n.jpg

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...99886425_n.jpg

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...11286550_n.jpg

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...99822549_n.jpg