Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   HHR SS (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/)
-   -   Help! Chevy HHR SS needs an engine (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/help-chevy-hhr-ss-needs-engine-59213/)

shojay92 08-06-2017 05:15 PM

Help! Chevy HHR SS needs an engine

Hey guys I have a problem. I have a 2009 Chevy HHR SS with a bad engine. It has over 137,000 miles on it. It would be around the same amount of money to do can engine swap rather than have it rebuilt. My question is: how does the SS engine come out? Can the whole subframe be lowered with the entire engine/trans assembly? Also I am looking at a brand new unfired replacement engine with zero miles on it for $2799.99. Yup I know crazy right? Ebay item# is 131328205748. Could someone that knows what they are doing and has the knowledge about the 2.0 liter turbo ecotech for the HHR SS please answer my first question and then go to ebay and look up this engine and confirm with me if this particular engine will fit and plug right up to my car? I am talking about the wiring harness etc. I look forward to hearing from you:) oh and also repair shops are quoting me $1000 to $ 1500 dollars labor for the engine swap. Does that sound right? Thanks guys:)

RJ_RS_SS_350 08-06-2017 05:43 PM

Yes, the engine and trans come out the bottom on the cradle. Here is the link to the ebay auction GM Chevy Cobalt HHR Buick Regal Ecotec LNF LHU 2.0L Turbo FWD Long Block Engine | eBay

ZZP is a very reputable company, and from what I've seen here, stands behind their product. You may have to remove parts from your old engine(sensors, etc) and install on this one.

That being said, many members here have chosen to go with the newer LDK version of this motor instead of the original LNF version that is in the auction. You can search the site for LDK to see how satisfied they are and their reasons.

shojay92 08-06-2017 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350 (Post 828386)
Yes, the engine and trans come out the bottom on the cradle. Here is the link to the ebay auction GM Chevy Cobalt HHR Buick Regal Ecotec LNF LHU 2.0L Turbo FWD Long Block Engine eBay

ZZP is a very reputable company, and from what I've seen here, stands behind their product. You may have to remove parts from your old engine(sensors, etc) and install on this one.

That being said, many members here have chosen to go with the newer LDK version of this motor instead of the original LNF version that is in the auction. You can search the site for LDK to see how satisfied they are and their reasons.

Thank you so much for your reply:) and that is the exact engine I am looking at. Would you be assuming that the repair shop will probably lower the subframe in order to remove my engine ?

RJ_RS_SS_350 08-06-2017 05:53 PM

Yes that is the preferred method of removal, although some have removed the engine from the top. Here is a link to ZZP, you can see if it may be less to order direct than it is buying from them on eBay.

Search and chat with some of the members here, and call ZZP, get as much info as you can.

https://zzperformance.com/ecotec/engine.html

shojay92 08-06-2017 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350 (Post 828388)
Yes that is the preferred method of removal, although some have removed the engine from the top. Here is a link to ZZP, you can see if it may be less to order direct than it is buying from them on eBay.

Search and chat with some of the members here, and call ZZP, get as much info as you can.

https://zzperformance.com/ecotec/engine.html

I will check it out. Thank you so much for helping me:)

RJ_RS_SS_350 08-06-2017 06:01 PM

You're welcome. Another thing I just noticed, on their website, the turbocharger is optional. So if your turbo is still good, you can save a good chunk of change.

shojay92 08-06-2017 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350 (Post 828390)
You're welcome. Another thing I just noticed, on their website, the turbocharger is optional. So if your turbo is still good, you can save a good chunk of change.

wow you are a lifesaver! I am currently on zzp's website and I am looking at the LDK longblock. If I order directly through zzp they offer free shipping where if I ordered through ebay I would have paid $300.00 for shipping! And there are reviews to read and so far they are all good. Thank you thank you thank you!!

RJ_RS_SS_350 08-06-2017 06:10 PM

I don't see free shipping, I see freight. And when I put an engine in my shopping cart, and used their shipping calculator, it was only a few dollars. So Their calculator is probably messed up. You'll get the lowdown when you call them.

shojay92 08-06-2017 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350 (Post 828390)

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350 (Post 828393)
I don't see free shipping, I see freight. And when I put an engine in my shopping cart, and used their shipping calculator, it was only a few dollars. So Their calculator is probably messed up. You'll get the lowdown when you call them.

ok no problem maybe I looked at it wrong. But I'm still glad to read that this engine will bolt and plug right up to my car

RJ_RS_SS_350 08-06-2017 06:19 PM

Looking forward to some pics of the project!