HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

HHR SS AA5 vs standard questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:46 AM

HHR SS AA5 vs standard questions...

I am trying to decide between a standard full window HHR SS and the AA5. I intend to put my business information, logo, numbers etc in that area, but was wondering if it is even legal (PA) to say have vinyl applied to the rear window, or if it is only OK if it was done to the rear panel portion?

I imagine I would use vinyl instead of paint regardless, but short of going to the Po Po and asking, what do you guys think?

I recognize that that AA5's are or will become more rare, but I think I like the full window version better?

On another note, I'd like to hear from owners of both. Do you regret getting what you did or do you have one and wish you had the other?

How is the vision out with the AA5? Anyone have confirmed what colors will be added or kept for the 2010 model year?

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2009, 05:46 AM

Why not shrink wrap so you can see through it? OR just have the logo done in a screen pattern?
Old 08-20-2009, 05:57 AM

Yes it will be rare but I would say unless you keep it 25 years or more you will see little of a value differance. The Full panel will see more. Rare does not always = $$$$$.

If you go vinyl you have the advantage to remove it if youy like and a window van would be an easier sale in 5 years. They half panels are rare because most people do not want them. Demand would grow with age.

I thought about the Half panel at first and now I am glad I just got the regular one. The blind spots are big enough for a daily driver and is do not miss having a bigger one.

The bottom line is they are both great vehicles and what one you like and what one you get the best deal on is the one you should get.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:10 AM

Me personally wished I could have gotten an AA5 car. I have never used or even see out the far back window.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:30 AM

Almost had my hands on a red AA5 version of what I have, but the dealer was a stingy sob (he wouldn't trade with my dealer, I hope he chokes on it). If you like it, get it, because unless you order one 2010 (but you won't get the $2000 rebate currently offered) or live in the western USA they are hard as heck to find (especially with the options I wanted). Thats been my experience in the South East region of the USA.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:50 AM

That's kinda what I was looking to hear, whether they are hard(er) to see out of, had a blind spot there etc. The see through Vinyl with small holes like they use on buses etc is a good idea, and can be removed etc. I also think the full window version will be an easier sale later in the used market.

Obviously the AA5 offers some more privacy but I do not carry valuable cargo, paperwork mostly, and since I am too old and too tall to have any interest in sex in the thing, lol, no other reason for the AA5 I guess. I have not seen one out this way, I agree they seem to be a CA thing right now.

I just got a letter from Chevy referencing the Cash for Clunkers thing and also that they are offering 0% for 72 months as well. I need to get something done fast.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:57 AM

i think most state laws, you can vinyl or even cover the rear window as long as you have 2 side mirrors
Old 08-20-2009, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by stephenm
i think most state laws, you can vinyl or even cover the rear window as long as you have 2 side mirrors

I have the full panel, and since it is considered a truck by Maryland I can do whatever I want to the rear as long as I have 2 outside mirrors. I drive a 1 ton bucket truck for everyone's favorite phone company ( Verizon ) so I'm used to blind spots. I don't need rear seats and really like the solid rear from an asthetics standpoint. The shaved rear doors and remote popping are just too damn cool
Old 08-20-2009, 10:46 AM

i am pretty sure the HHR is considered a truck, not just yours.

Originally Posted by Father Azmodius
I have the full panel, and since it is considered a truck by Maryland I can do whatever I want to the rear as long as I have 2 outside mirrors. I drive a 1 ton bucket truck for everyone's favorite phone company ( Verizon ) so I'm used to blind spots. I don't need rear seats and really like the solid rear from an asthetics standpoint. The shaved rear doors and remote popping are just too damn cool
Old 08-20-2009, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by stephenm
i am pretty sure the HHR is considered a truck, not just yours.
My insurance down in TX classifies any variation of the HHR as a station wagon

Quick Reply: HHR SS AA5 vs standard questions...