HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Honing Cylinder Liners

Old 02-20-2019, 05:10 PM

Honing Cylinder Liners

The frequent fliers here know I have my 2009 2.0L engine (145k miles) torn down to replace seals and gaskets due to a mishap during walnut blasting. So basically, I have it stripped down to the bare block, except the piston liners, which remain in place. The ridge at the top of the liner was extremely small and allowed me to easily remove the pistons without damaging the rings or ring lands. The engine ran fine with good compression before this project started, and never used oil. So I have no plans of replacing the pistons, liners, or rings. However, I am considering "lightly" honing the liners before reassembly. I'd like to hear feedback on this. My assistant believes it would be good to remove the "glaze" from the liner and allow the rings to re-seat and reset. This would be nothing more than a few cycles up-n-down in each liner, for a few seconds, to very light "scuff" it up and crosshatch the surface.

If this seems like a reasonable idea, I don't know what grit ball hone to use. I know moly rings usually require a finer finish, while cast iron and chrome rings require a little coarser finish. But I don't know what my OEM rings are, moly, cast iron, or chrome.

I'm also wondering if I should refrain from honing altogether and just clean the parts and reassemble, on the notion that the rings have already seated into the liners after many miles on the engine.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
M Ridzon
Old 02-20-2019, 05:23 PM
Technical Moderator

If it ain't broke ....

Honing is done to remove stuff, what is there to remove?
Old 02-20-2019, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Honing will change the measurements, albeit slight but still, I have been fortunate in a similar situation, except I replaced the piston rings with new ones at stock size plus a thousandth of an inch.
while you have it apart , replace those rings
Old 02-20-2019, 06:16 PM

I would be more interested in new rings, and assume the current cylinder surface is fine unless you had misfiring or something to build a film that needs removal. It probably won't hurt, but it seems unnecessary... Besides, new rings will "clear a path" themselves, right?
Old 02-20-2019, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

If you have the pistons out, put new rings on. No way I would put worn rings back that have that many miles on them.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:44 AM

New rings? Hmm, I guess I hadn't considered that unless I was also doing pistons and liners. I suppose it's an idea worth considering though. In that case, with the old liners, would I hone the liners or leave them alone?

P.S. OEM rings or aftermarket? If the latter, what brand is suggested?
Old 02-21-2019, 08:02 AM
Administrator

As you stated a lite honing, and GM rings will be just fine.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:10 AM

Do you know if the GM rings are moly, chrome, and just plain cast iron? Each of these require a different honing grit.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:27 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nippon-Pist...Model%3ACobalt

I wouldn't even consider putting it back together with the old ring. Check with ZZPerformance about the grit ball hone to use. Also do yourself a favor and check the end gaps on the rings especially if you are tuned. Most the issues occur from inadequate ring gap which breaks the ring lands on the pistons.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:37 AM

I would just ball hone the cylinders. Using a rigid hone is going to show the tapper in the liners. Wash the liners out with dish soap ( I like Dawn), rinse, dry and then with clean white paper towels use trans fluid to wipe out the bores. Trans fluid is high detergent and on a white towel will show you if the bores are clean or not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honing Cylinder Liners