HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

how do we get them to hook up

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:07 AM

how do we get them to hook up

so now that I have the stage kit and alot more power , how do I get it to hook up, because all I get is wheel spin. I went out with a stop watch yesterday and I am loosing alot of time in first and second gear, its really hard to get traction from a dead stop. I guess drag radials would help, maybe a smaller wheel and a taller tire with some sidewall with some give in it, its like theese low profile tires are prone to wheel spin. I was loosing a second to a second and a half to wheel spin.the quickest 0-60 time I could get was 6.8 and that was with a Iphone for a stop watch and my wife operating it, but we were able to repeat those numbers a few times. oh btw I do have a 5 sp, an auto would prolly hook up better. also a shift light would help, Im thinking of putting one in the top glove box , so I dont have to cut the dash or see it when I dont want to. just some thoughts, thanks,-m-
Old 04-10-2009, 01:00 PM

better bigger tires.....255/50/16 bfg drag radials is what I use on the track.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:13 PM

The Aeroforce gauge has shift lights and 0-60 timing among a list of others.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:57 PM

I will roll all in this thread!!
Old 04-11-2009, 11:37 PM

I wanted to ask you guys about the stage kit. I had mine put on last week but I find that in first the boost is low about 11 lbs and I don't have any traction issues. It hooks up no problem. Then in second the boost comes on more and if I'm in third or up i can get 20lbs and the car really moves. I heard alot of people have problems hooking up but I had more problems with traction when it was stock. Second and up feel much stronger but first just isn't there. It's not the traction control. I even did a launch control launch and the car just seemed to bog till the end of first. When it was stock the car really took off when I did that. Sorry I hope I'm not hijacking this post.

The car is a 09 5 spd with LSD.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:05 PM

Well I found the problem today. Both intercooler hose clamps were loose and the intake from the air box to the turbo was so loose I could pull it off by hand. Once I tightened all the clamps it runs great. I guess the turbo was sucking in so much unmetered air that the car was running lean. Thats why the car had low boost in the first 2 gears and would bog when launch control was activated.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:41 AM

I am having the tubes tightened as they install tha stage kit.

THe mechanic says the same thing is happening on the deisels truck too.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:03 PM

Check your tire PSI. I went to the races the other week and spun through second every time. Then I realized that when I had my stock wheels/tires put back on they had filled the tires to 42psi! I dropped them down to 32psi and my times went down by over half a second!
Old 04-17-2009, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by damronjr
Check your tire PSI. I went to the races the other week and spun through second every time. Then I realized that when I had my stock wheels/tires put back on they had filled the tires to 42psi! I dropped them down to 32psi and my times went down by over half a second!
good idea that should help considerably, we have a test and tune nite coming up at our local drag strip and I will be able to test some of theese things out. I got pulled over a couple of days ago for squealing my tires, its hard to not do it driving normal, I sped up to get in front of a car so I could turn right and every time my car hit a smooth black spots on the road it would chirp the tires, so the copper lit me up, no ticket though, just a warning. It does this alot with everyday driving.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:53 PM

If you get a shift light, let me know how you wire it in. There is a company that sells very small shift lights that will fit right next to the stock boost gauge. I have mine installed, but I've yet to really look hard and find the tach signal wire to get it hooked up. IMHO, the Aeroforce lights aren't bright enough for use as a shift light.

Name:  raptor2.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  32.4 KB
Name:  raptor1.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  27.9 KB

Quick Reply: how do we get them to hook up