HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Need help with buying a SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:22 PM

Need help with buying a SS

I am thinking of ss, but not sure if I should get an used 2008 or new 2009. also wondering about automatic vs manual.

Questions:

Any improvement or changes '09 over '08? An used '08 is about $4 cheaper than a new one, so tempting. What about '10? any known improvement that we know by now?

I would prefer an automatic, but these are my concerns:

1. I understand the certain "must have" ie the brembo brake/limited slip are only available on manual?
2. Since I will be upgrading to stage 1 ... and GM's auto box can't handle the power? Will the stage 1 kit work with automatic without negative effect?

Anything else that I should think of before buying? Thanks for helping.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:30 PM

for the money.... get the '08. I have the GM Tune and an AUTO, and I have not seen any problems! with the GM Tune the auto gets a little more HP/T than the manual. From other threads the Manual guys are starting to burn through clutches. You can still add the Brembo brakes for around $800 and some greasy knuckles. After you add stage 1 its time for IC hot/cold piping, exhaust, BOV spring, Bigger Intercooler, and another tune on top GMS1. Yes the tranny is the weak link here, but there are a couple of guys reading 300+ at the wheels, with more toys. Its your call, as far as a '10 model I'm not sure? I've heard that the whole HHR line goes down in '10 but I could be wrong. If it was my money (and no kids) i'd get the Camero SS2 and put it in the garage until barret jackson could get me half a mill for it!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:08 PM

Here are a couple of posts I started when I was still shopping:

Is There Any Reason *NOT* To Get A GM Certified HHR?

Auto tranny strong enough for stage 1?

I got my questions answered and bought the new 2008 SS because the used one got auctioned out from under me.
My only regret I have is that it has the grey/black interior not the red/black I wanted.
There's nothing wrong with the the grey/black, I like it a lot.
I just like the red/black better but it wasn't available around here when it was time to buy.

That's it.
I love it.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:00 PM

Between '08 and '09 is money. Some enhancements on the '09 are the RPD, bluetooth and USB port. I personally like the latter 2 options. Can do without the RPD as I prefer vintage analogue in a retromobile such as this. In my case, I could have bought an '09 with about 1k mi for about $21k, but kept shopping as it was more than I wanted to part with. You can get them for less now. Used units all avg about $18k regardless of year.

I opted for an '08 because I found a black one with a manual trans, limited slip diff and sunroof for $16.8k with 6k mi. You couldn't tell it was used. Most of my friends assume it's brand new. The extra 4 grand left me with enough for the ST1 (which was already done) plus more to spend on other upgrades. The factory warrantee is still intact and I was given 3 mos OnStar free.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:16 PM

Thanks guy for your advice. Sounded like there aren't any significant difference between '08 and '09 so a low mileage '08 may be the way to save a few $$?

Stage 1 seems to be fine with Auto too? the only 'sacraffice for taking an auto would be the lack of Brembo and limited slip d.

I guess it would void the warranty if one simply install the limited slip? Anyone knows how big a job is that?
Old 07-06-2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by toffee
Thanks guy for your advice. Sounded like there aren't any significant difference between '08 and '09 so a low mileage '08 may be the way to save a few $$?

Stage 1 seems to be fine with Auto too? the only 'sacraffice for taking an auto would be the lack of Brembo and limited slip d.

I guess it would void the warranty if one simply install the limited slip? Anyone knows how big a job is that?
Probably better off just getting 1 with the package instead and eliminate the risk of losing the warranty. I would have liked the RPD just for th functions, but you can get an Aeroforce gauge that will do more for less and not have to worry about trying to locate a RPD as they are VERY hard to come by.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by toffee
My salesman said that if I got the Brembo package from them it wouldn't void the warranty.
Ask yours when you find one to buy.

I don't know about the LSD.
I'm not sure if it will work with the auto.
Hopefully someone in the know will enlighten us.
That's a mod worth getting real dirty for as long as it's warranty friendly.

I'm not sure it would be worth my time/money though.
I don't do much stop/start driving.
Most of the time I'm rolling & rolling & rolling...
I think it would be excellent for someone in the city that likes to race light to light or at the track.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:46 PM

09s also have Bluetooth standard and a better interior dome light setup. But for what used 08s are going for If I was buying now it would be an 08
Old 07-06-2009, 11:18 PM

When I bought mine in April I went w/ the new '09. I just like knowing I am the only one who drove it for an extended time. I know how I beat on it and didn't have to worry about a previous owner beating the heck out of it. But that might just be me.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:26 PM

you should be able to buy a used 08 for around 17k, thts about 9k less than a new one

Quick Reply: Need help with buying a SS