HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

I finally did it. No Lift Shift

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:34 PM

Talking I finally did it. No Lift Shift

Thats the funniest thing I've ever did in this car. So I was getting on to the freeway and I decided to try it out for once and so I get on it in first. BAM LURCH FORWARDS into second Kept into the throttle and BAM LURCH FORWARDS into third. Actually wasn't expecting it to slam me to the seat when I shifted into gear. Cool and Funny experience for sure.

I can see that it will help out at the track. Im going to practice a tad more where to make the perfect shift. At least the no lift shift will keep me ammused.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:40 PM

No lift shift rules !!!! SSmiles all day !!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:55 AM

I love the no-lift...I beat on my HHR like a Vegas strip hooker.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:35 AM

Crazy Steve, Would you mind sharing the VIN# of your Red SS? I want to keep it handy so I don't end up buying your car on the used market someday! LOL!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by altmanglen
Crazy Steve, Would you mind sharing the VIN# of your Red SS? I want to keep it handy so I don't end up buying your car on the used market someday! LOL!
That's a good one!
Actually I would love to buy a used SS that runs like Crazy Steve's
I don't know how much a new clutch would run, but that would be my concern on his.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:06 AM

In my younger days of drag racing on the track, we used to "floorboard shift", which I think is what you are talking about. You simply time the revs to the gear and drop it in. On the track it really does save valuable time.

I drive 18 wheelers and many truck drivers do not even use the clutch (even for downshifting). Driving truck and shifting requires "double-clutching" which is unbelievably different from normal shifting. In fact, you need to totally relearn shifting. Anyway, shifting without the clutch on a truck doesn't seem to do any damage to anything, if you do it right. I would assume it is true for a car. The problem is timing it right. The damage to be worried about is probably more with the type of driving - over-reving, missing the shift, beating the hell out of the engine.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by AJochum
In my younger days of drag racing on the track, we used to "floorboard shift", which I think is what you are talking about. You simply time the revs to the gear and drop it in. On the track it really does save valuable time.

I drive 18 wheelers and many truck drivers do not even use the clutch (even for downshifting). Driving truck and shifting requires "double-clutching" which is unbelievably different from normal shifting. In fact, you need to totally relearn shifting. Anyway, shifting without the clutch on a truck doesn't seem to do any damage to anything, if you do it right. I would assume it is true for a car. The problem is timing it right. The damage to be worried about is probably more with the type of driving - over-reving, missing the shift, beating the hell out of the engine.

AJ:
The no lift shif is actually a feature of the HHR SS and others including the Vette. All you do (in Competition mode) is Mat the gas and when it comes time to shift you use the clutch as normal with the gas still mashed. The cars computer does not allow the car to over rev thus saving the engine.

Does this sound about right guys?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:28 AM

Yup, you hit the nail on the head lognhornss.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:29 AM

No lift shifting is quit different than what your talking about, matching revs/gears to shift withouit using the clutch. With no lift, you keep your foot into the accelerator. Hard to get used to, goes against everything that is natural, but you use the clutch and shift as normal while keeping your right foot to the floor. Major advantage for turbo is that it keeeps the boast up so you don't have to rebuild it between gears - also seems to have a tendence to create what is called a "drivers grin" (although my wife calls it a silly smile).
Old 09-30-2008, 11:37 AM

so that's what no lift shifting means......

I do that all the time with my automatic..... :)

Quick Reply: I finally did it. No Lift Shift