Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   HHR SS (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/)
-   -   LNF Engine Tick (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/lnf-engine-tick-66154/)

Uncle Moe 04-25-2023 12:38 PM

LNF Engine Tick

Hey guys does anyones engine sound like a clock ticking? I made a recording of it, im going to try and post it.... Stay tuned...
Actually nevermind, it says the site cannot accept that type of file... Anyways, once the engine is at normal operating temperature, the valves, im assuming are ticking pretty loud, but there is also a constant tick, almost in seconds but a bit quicker.. I dont know, its hard to explain, but if anyone is interested i can email them the sound file. Idk if its a normal sound or if something is wrong... It runs great, theres only 60,000 miles (96000 km) on it, i havent driven the car in 3 years, other than around the block every so often to get the rust off the rotors... Its completely bone stock, so i havent tinkered with the engine at all... So is this normal? Please say yes lol... Oh ya, its an SS Panel. Thanks in advance guys for taking the time to read this

Oldblue 04-25-2023 01:26 PM

SS has noisy sounds as you describe coming from the high pressure fuel pump, so normal for the LNF

PulpFriction 04-25-2023 05:47 PM

Yep, prolly the HPFP. Typically 4 ticks/second for about for 30 seconds or a minute, then 1/sec. Mine has varied with time. There is a dense black foam muffler on that pump. If it's missing, it's MUCH louder.

Uncle Moe 04-25-2023 08:11 PM

Thanks so much for the info guys, like i stated to OldBlue this is my first domestic, im not used to hearing the fuel pump up in the engine bay haha... All my Z cars had them in the tank so this is new to me!! Thanks for all your help.. i was worried!

greg8453 04-25-2023 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Moe (Post 937040)
Thanks so much for the info guys, like i stated to OldBlue this is my first domestic, im not used to hearing the fuel pump up in the engine bay haha... All my Z cars had them in the tank so this is new to me!! Thanks for all your help.. i was worried!

You have one in the tank also. These engined with direct injection require high pressure that would not do well to plumb it from the tank to the engine.

RJ_RS_SS_350 04-25-2023 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by PulpFriction (Post 937030)
Yep, prolly the HPFP. Typically 4 ticks/second for about for 30 seconds or a minute, then 1/sec. Mine has varied with time. There is a dense black foam muffler on that pump. If it's missing, it's MUCH louder.

The 2010s came with the foam. Prior years had a felty-cardboardy cover. My 2009 did anyway, I guess it may have been a mid year change.

But yes, like the guys said, the HPFP can be quite loud.

PulpFriction 04-26-2023 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350 (Post 937044)
The 2010s came with the foam. Prior years had a felty-cardboardy cover. My 2009 did anyway, I guess it may have been a mid year change.

Huh. Mine's 2010. Assumed they were all the foam.