HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Is Manual Transmission a Good Option

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 05:41 PM

Is Manual Transmission a Good Option

On a performance vehicle like the HHR SS, would you lose value if you purchased a manual transmission? It will allow you to get the full horsepower out of the engine. It also will save $1,000 off the sticker price. You'll have to order it anyway so why not save the money and get the maximum performance?

What do you guys think?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:57 PM

I hate automatics, myself, so I can't give an unbiased answer ;-)
Old 08-29-2007, 06:44 PM

Since 90% of new car sales are automatics, I think it's safe to say that the automatics are going to be an easier sell down the line...
Old 08-29-2007, 07:31 PM

well since the manual is cheaper to begin with, how could you lose any value? You can't lose what you don't spend in the first place.

Having said that, like misterjensen said, it might be easier to resell with an automatic a few years down the road. Then again, it is an SS, and the market for these vehicles might tend to want a manual, so who really knows?
Old 08-30-2007, 06:45 AM

It's a preformance vehicle. The auto will hurt sales down the road IMO. I know I would not pay more to get less HP. If you want a performance vehicle, drive a performance vehicle.

Even if the auto is free, what would I pay the same price to get less.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:16 AM

My SHO was a performance vehicle and it sold terribly until they created an automatic for it. Then it sold in larger numbers but was always a sleeper, a cult car so eventually Ford pulled the plug.
Mine was a manual and it seemed folks of the era ( '90's ) did not want manual sedans. That may have changed.

On our HHR SS, I'd guess the resale would be more for enthusiasts so the manual is likely to be a SELLING point rather than a detriment. Heck, these days I WANT to drive automatics, but the crippling of the HP in the HHR SS auto makes me reconsider a manual once again.

At least with the SHO Ford created an automatic that did not stifle the engine output much or at all ( trying to remember ) . They worked on it for years rather than rushing one out, so the first batch of SHOs were manual only.
I think Chevy has given the HHR SS all the R&D it is likely to get in the automatic dept. Too bad for us.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:19 AM

I hate automatics too... go with the manual, get all you can outta the SS...

Tina aka Prpltz
Old 08-30-2007, 09:39 PM

Though I agree with the preference to the manual... you're not going to find an Impalla SS or a Monte SS with a manual trans...

Get what you want... in 2 years the resale price of the car will be based more on the condition and the miles than if it has an a manual transmission or not. All I'm saying is that depending on the appearance, your price could swing +/- $3000, depending on transmission it might go +/- $1000 tops.

Get the transmission you want and don't eat icecream or spill your coffee and you'll be further ahead :)
Old 08-30-2007, 09:46 PM

So what if it doesn't have as high of a resale value. Who are you buying it for? You or the next guy? Get what YOU want.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:49 AM

If you go with the manaul trans ,then when you sell it people will think you beat on the car all the time. That just the way people think. Automatic would be the way to go. Are you planning on doing 150 miles an hour ? If not go with the auto. Even with the auto ,I'll bet it goes 140.

Quick Reply: Is Manual Transmission a Good Option