Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   HHR SS (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/)
-   -   Is it me or does Comp and ESC off mode change the boost regulation (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/me-does-comp-esc-off-mode-change-boost-regulation-27859/)

terryk 02-01-2010 09:32 PM

Is it me or does Comp and ESC off mode change the boost regulation

On my 08 SS 5psd I noticed when I roll into the throttle a bit the boost guage goes to 0 or maybe 1-2. I don't mean WOT, but maybe 40-50% TPS. Certainly if I floor it, the boost comes up as expected.

If I set it to comp mode or ESC off, the boost comes way up faster with the same throttle position.

It's as if they let "normal" mode limit the boost at moderate throttle levels so it feels smoother and more controlled but in comp or ESC off all bets are off and "you're on your own son."

Is it me?

IgottaWoody 02-01-2010 09:36 PM

Well.. if theres nothing "cutting" back power and/or directinal breaking to minimize wheel spin then you would definitly feel more unrestrained power...

THE BATMAN 02-01-2010 09:39 PM

Sweet ! :cool:

IgottaWoody 02-01-2010 09:42 PM

Hmmm..but you said part throttle.....so thats debatable....anybody else?

terryk 02-01-2010 09:57 PM

Let me add a bit of clarification. In normal mode, I can press it to the floor and the turbo spools up and off I go but in comp mode or ESC off it seems to bring the boost up faster.

I was thinking it might just be a spooling condition from my foot but it really seems like they wastegate off the boost more in normal mode than comp or ESC.

And of course it could just be me. I figured I'd ask.

I really like normal mode because it acts like a really strong 2.4L in normal driving. You don't get sudden power changes (a la GN/TR where you have to think about what is about to happen). But when you go ahead and give it some heavier throttle it spools up nicely. But it sure seems to be more sensitive in comp and ESC modes.

IgottaWoody 02-02-2010 09:18 PM

Kinda like a good 2 stroke bike.. when you hit that 'sweet" spot you know it.....( KTM 250 Moto )

asanti 02-03-2010 01:25 PM

Hmm, I haven't tried the Comp. Mode and ESC off yet.... I'll have to give it a try and report back!

Later
Allex

SPPD 02-03-2010 02:38 PM

I swear that turning on Comp-Mode does change the power on my car. I see higher boost numbers and it does spool quicker in comp for me. Maybe I am nuts, or maybe it has an effect, but either way it feels like it to me.

SPPD

terryk 02-03-2010 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by SPPD (Post 440229)
I swear that turning on Comp-Mode does change the power on my car. I see higher boost numbers and it does spool quicker in comp for me. Maybe I am nuts, or maybe it has an effect, but either way it feels like it to me.

SPPD

Yeah, I didn't know if the 60's were catching up with me or if something really does change.

SPPD 02-03-2010 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by terryk (Post 440254)
Yeah, I didn't know if the 60's were catching up with me or if something really does change.

I don't know if it does change anything, but it sure seems like it to me.

SPPD