HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Snow Tires

Old 01-18-2011, 11:46 AM

Snow Tires

I just put Yokohama AVID ENVigor (W)(Ultra High Performance All-Season) on my 09 SS. The stock tires are garbage and way overpriced. They are rated very bad in snow and wet weather. The Yoks are awesome in every way and rated high in snow and wet weather. Granted I didnt drive in last weeks 2 foot snowstorm but in our other snow storms, they performed way above the stock Michelins. For anyone looking for a much better tire than stock, these are great. I changed them at 33,000 miles and glad I did......
Old 01-18-2011, 12:42 PM

I'll keep those in mind. I will probably be buying new tires next fall in preparation for winter. The stockers are bad. The other day I was spinning them on just a little wet pavement and, no, I was not even stepping on it.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:25 PM

I have General Altimax Arctic (Studdable Snow) tire, and will never look back.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:25 AM

I have stock 16" tires on my SS, I have yet to have any problems. Had to drive home through 4 inches of snow and ice. Stabilitrak kept me straight and I was passing cars all the way, even though I was only doing 40 mph
Old 02-14-2011, 10:16 PM

Blizzak

I got a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks in 16". Love 'em.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by -md- HHR
I have General Altimax Arctic (Studdable Snow) tire, and will never look back.
second that!
Old 02-14-2011, 11:18 PM

Hakkapalitta (spelling?) Rsi. Best snow tire for an 18" wheel I have ever owned!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:46 AM

The fact is any tire that is round and black will more than not be better then the Stones.

Most all good season tires are going to move you through about anything. Snow tires are not going to hurt. Studded tires unless you drive on a lot of ice are a little over kill. Most new compound will handel ice as well or in some cases batter.

Fact is 90% here could get by as well and get more miles with a good all seasons.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by BoostBox
Hakkapalitta (spelling?) Rsi. Best snow tire for an 18" wheel I have ever owned!
I have used that tire, I will definitly agree on that.

As for the poster, my wife's car is the HHR and she does need good snow tires. IMO if I were driving the car personally, it would have studded tires all the time. But with her, I do not want her mis-judging and braking too late and smashing up the car as studs can make you skid on dry/wet pavement.

If money is not a issue, get the Hakkapalittas or Blizzaks, you cannot go wrong either way. Just keep the car under boost as best you can.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:45 AM
geg

I want to warn the guys from warmer states.
And especially gmdealerguy from New York.
Yokohama - a good protector, modern design.
But the rubber - REAL ****.
Until the temperature is no below 12 - 15 degrees Celsius - tire is works. But should the temperature drops - Tire froze, loses its elasticity. Impression - it is plastic.
Tried to ride a roller-skating on the ice?
Try it - it's Yokohama at 25C!
The first winter - I bought the Yokohama for my HHR. This was nonsense. But the choice was limited. Or very expensive foreign tires, or cheap low-quality Russian tires. With pain in my heart I bought the Yokohama because it was discount at 50%!. And this at a time when other tires had no discount at all.
After a month of torment I had to sell Yokohama for a penny and buy a Blizzak.
I'm no expert. Perhaps in the U.S. Yokohama better than in Russia.
But if someone goes into a cold state - a danger.
gmdealerguy - in New York City weather gone mad. Cold below 13C - danger. Be considerate.
As an example. In Russia in 2008 Toyota Camry cars manned Yokohama tires. More than half of shoppers returned tire to dealer in a while. In 2009 at the insistence of insurance companies and dealers - the rejection of Yokohama.

I'm sorry if I offended someone

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Snow Tires