HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

No Start Condition

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:30 AM

No Start Condition

Had my 2008 HHR SS in the dealer last week for the brake fix and a few other miscellaneous items I wanted to have them check out and received the vehicle back this past Monday. My wife drove the vehicle to work and back and then to Meijer to pick up some groceries and when she came out the car would not start. The car would crank and crank, but no start. So we call the GM roadside assist hotline (what a pain in the butt) and had the vehicle towed to the local dealer. The dealer said they could not find the exact cause for the issue because when they tow truck driver drop off the car at the dealership it started right up, imagine that. The dealer disassembled the fuse box, resized and completed a drag test on the connectors to make sure when they had it apart originally for the brake fix they had not damage anything. They said they found 2 questionable connections but could not say with certainty they had fix the problem. Dealer told me that they had seen a few (2 or 3) HHR's with this problem before that displayed no internal codes and had a no start condition.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Schneider
Had my 2008 HHR SS in the dealer last week for the brake fix and a few other miscellaneous items I wanted to have them check out and received the vehicle back this past Monday. My wife drove the vehicle to work and back and then to Meijer to pick up some groceries and when she came out the car would not start. The car would crank and crank, but no start. So we call the GM roadside assist hotline (what a pain in the butt) and had the vehicle towed to the local dealer. The dealer said they could not find the exact cause for the issue because when they tow truck driver drop off the car at the dealership it started right up, imagine that. The dealer disassembled the fuse box, resized and completed a drag test on the connectors to make sure when they had it apart originally for the brake fix they had not damage anything. They said they found 2 questionable connections but could not say with certainty they had fix the problem. Dealer told me that they had seen a few (2 or 3) HHR's with this problem before that displayed no internal codes and had a no start condition.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
I have seen this on several different cars including Ford.

Just last week my buddys Ford 500 was a no start. Once it was towed to the dealer it started.

They had no codes etc. The dealer thinks it may have been with the theft lock in the key or computer of his car. They said they get one ever once in a while and it resets itself.

I have also heard this happen on a Trailblazer and a few more cars. Each started to work on their own and no codes on any of them.

Mine had a bad connection from the brake repair but it threw a code but would run fine. The connector was replaced and it has been fine since.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:17 PM

I hate when these types of things happen. I had a Ford Windstar many years ago that occasionally would not shift out of 2nd gear. Several times I took it to the dealer, where it would work fine. And it threw no codes, so they looked at me like I had two heads. Very frustrating.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Mine had a bad connection from the brake repair but it threw a code but would run fine. The connector was replaced and it has been fine since.

I still think this was a tech install problem and not something from the factory since the problem occured after the install.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I still think this was a tech install problem and not something from the factory since the problem occured after the install.
Most likely but with electrical problems that come and go they are such a pain to find.