Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   HHR SS (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/)
-   -   Odd LCA/ball joint combo (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/odd-lca-ball-joint-combo-66558/)

hhoyt 11-17-2023 05:45 PM

Odd LCA/ball joint combo

I was doing a front-end rebuild at 180k miles on my 2009 SS and assembled what I thought were correct parts specified for SS/FE5 aluminum LCA assys:
25930724 Complete right LCA located by my Chevy parts guy using VIN
15232501 rear LCA bushing
25837418 front LCA bushing
BJ90415 ball joint (GM unavailable)

I rebuilt the old left LCA with the new bushings and ball joint, and it went back together smoothly.
I went to install the new right LCA and... surprise! The ball joint stud is 20.5 mm which I thought all FE5s were, but the knuckle bore was 20 mm, which the original ball joint on the original LCA was as well (!!), even though the p/n stamped into the old LCA was the same as the new one! Did GM change the ball joint mid-production, and if so shouldn't it have had a different p/n? Additionally, does this mean my SS actually does not have the FE5 suspension? Perhaps before I bought it at 45k miles someone changed both knuckles? Geesh...
It was tough finding all the correct p/ns to begin with and now this...
Any clues? Has this happened to anyone else?

Cheers,
Howie

RJ_RS_SS_350 11-17-2023 05:52 PM

:welcomewagon: to the forums!

Was the ball joint riveted in or bolted?

hhoyt 11-17-2023 06:31 PM

Odd LCA/ball joint combo

>>Was the ball joint riveted in or bolted?
Riveted.
The other oddity is with my car: it is possible that someone changed both knuckles before I bought it at 45 k miles, though unlikely, and the BJs both had 20 mm studs. Did ALL SS's come with FE5 suspension? Shouldn't my VIN have specified the right parts even if it was built with FE3 parts? Maybe I should have taken the hint when the parts counter guy looked for 30 minutes, then turned to me and said "How much do you like this car? All of these parts are discontinued."
At this point GM parts are unobtanium so it is somewhat of a moot point I guess...as long as I can get it put together and keep driving it!
I ordered another set of bushings and BJ to rebuild the old right LCA, so that should put me back on the road.
Thanks for the reply,
Howie

Oldblue 11-17-2023 06:39 PM

All SS’s had the FE5 package. It is plausible that the previous owner had that ball joint replaced and whoever installed the incorrect 19.5 mm stub, the pinch bolt would have closed up the knuckle enough to cause the no fit issue

hhoyt 11-17-2023 07:02 PM

Odd LCA/ball joint combo

>> the pinch bolt would have closed up the knuckle enough to cause the no fit issue

Crap...I wonder what the proper gap in the knuckle is when clamping the FE5 20.5 mm BJ stud?
Howie

edit: And where are the proper FE5 BJs sold? I couldn't find any reference to them, except for the BJ90415 which claimed to be proper for the FE5, but is apparently the smaller 20 mm size..

lazaino 11-17-2023 07:28 PM

I would guess the same as oldblue, it was pinched smaller when someone installed the wrong one. The only place to get the ball joins I know of is:

https://www.overthetopperformance.co...LNF_p_295.html

PulpFriction 11-18-2023 12:37 AM

How many miles on your car? It isn't a panel, is it?

That BJ90415 ball joint is not correct for HHR SS.

YES, It IS possible that someone replaced the SS knuckles with LS/LT knuckles. This swap has been suggested in various venues. Terrible idea.

The correct SS knuckles have been discontinued. Very hard to get, even used.

Do not assume both sides are the same.

It wouldn't hurt to check your VIN and RPO codes and verify you have a real SS and not a clone.

Slightly more precisely, the two diameters are 19.6mm & 20.5mm.

I don't understand how you can have a 19.6 mm ball joint rivetted onto a

Oldblue 11-18-2023 07:06 AM

Reread the first post the ball joint in the right lca is 20.5 mm

hhoyt 11-18-2023 08:55 AM

Hi all,
I am formulating a very possible scenario here: I think at some point before I bought the HHR SS (and VIN shows that is what it is at the Chevy parts counter) for whatever reason both ball joints were replaced with incorrect smaller stud versions. The clamp bolts were tightened down to affix the smaller stud. At this point the knuckles are deformed and would need to be opened up to accept the correct BJs...if they can be found.
I have messaged OTTP and requested a measurement of the BJ Lazaino linked: https://www.overthetopperformance.co...LNF_p_295.html
Hopefully I will get an answer early next week and I'll post it here, otherwise I will check back in the week after Tday.on Nov 28.

A concern of mine is what to do about the knuckles if they have indeed been closed down and deformed. Given the geometry of the situation, when the stud bore closes down, it becomes ovalled; shorter in the axis perpendicular to the compression slot, but retain it's original dimension on axis of the slot. I should be able to measure this and verify the scenario. It would be somewhat trivial to take a flat cold chisel (I have a super sharp set of Snap-Ons) and re-open the knuckle, but I am worried about fatigue to the aluminum of the knuckle, and aluminum (depending on alloy) can suffer from cold-working fatigue. Do any of you remember anyone attempting this? A failure of the knuckle at the lower ball joint would be catastrophic on the highway. From this perspective it may be better to get a 20.5 mm reamer and open the bore back up with a smaller slot.

And I thought it was going to be a pleasant simple rebuild job...
Thanks for all of your help, folks!
Howie

RJ_RS_SS_350 11-18-2023 10:06 AM

I'm not sure if SS Axle shifts would fit through a non-SS knuckle. So I agree that the knuckles are compromised.

Just for clarity, I was asking about the ball joint that was on the old right side LCA.