Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   HHR SS (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/)
-   -   Ramps for the SS (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/ramps-ss-14949/)

turbotim 05-07-2008 08:15 PM

Ramps for the SS

I purchased some ramps to use when changing oil. They were the Blitz brand Rino Ramps sold at Autozone. The lower valance rubs and will not clear these ramps so I returned them. Wal-Mart ramps looked to be about the same.

What ramps are you guys using to change oil and where did you pick them up?

CarlsSS 05-07-2008 08:24 PM

Yup, that can be a problem... I have a fairly shallow set of ramps I made in high school shop class way back, and they are still too steep. I stack up a couple of planks in front of each one and a small board on the ramp itself and it works fine. Would be bettter if it was attached of course... :roll:

white heat 05-07-2008 08:53 PM

My srt is lowered so I screwed two 5/8" boards together for each side and no problems.

Tony_SS 05-07-2008 09:38 PM

Please - do not use ramps! Get yourself a nice a decent jack and jackstands. Also, put wheel chocks behind the rear wheels. Ramps are a recipe for disaster.

But in all reality, my local shop charges me $21 for a full synthetic oil change. Ask yourself it changing your own oil is worth the cost of having it done. ;)

GDZHHR 05-07-2008 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tony_SS (Post 263101)
Please - do not use ramps! Get yourself a nice a decent jack and jackstands. Also, put wheel chocks behind the rear wheels. Ramps are a recipe for disaster.

But in all reality, my local shop charges me $21 for a full synthetic oil change. Ask yourself it changing your own oil is worth the cost of having it done. ;)

I agree, it's not worth it to me. I pay to have minbe change and for the ability to go online and print out a record of each one by vin#.

xzombiex66 05-07-2008 11:13 PM

yes get a low profile jack and you will be set.

white heat 05-08-2008 12:45 AM

Nothing wrong with ramps if you use them correctly. Actually ramps are safer and easier to use if you don't need the tires off for any reason. I have a floorjack and jackstands if I have a need for the car up and wheels off.

solman98 05-08-2008 06:13 AM

Ask yourself it changing your own oil is worth the cost of having it done. ;)

Always worth it IMO.

Ramps are as safe as any jack and stands. Both can fail. But it's easier to tip over a stand.

jayhawker 05-08-2008 07:42 AM

Where the heck do you get a full synthetic oil change for $21? Does that include the oil also? If so, they can't possibly be making any money at that shop.

Tony_SS 05-08-2008 07:51 AM

It's a local owned Auto parts and repair shop down the street. The oil is Kendall Synthetic and the filter was included. But when you buy oil by the 55 gallon barrel, a quart comes out to be pretty cheap. Anyway, that's what they charge so there's no sense in me going through the trouble.