HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Single Biggest Improvement

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:06 AM

Single Biggest Improvement

I don't work for Turbo Tech Racing, but the addition of their rear sway bar just transformed the handling of my car. I just did 250 miles yesterday, on some of the best roads in Missouri, and the handling is very flat, totally predictable, and incredible. My G meter recorded as high as .92 g's. On real roads, that's remarkable. I occasionally got to the edge of the handling envelope and, when I did, the front and rear were giving up together. No radical oversteer. Maybe just a touch of the rear going first. A quick flick of the steering wheel and it was back in line, with maybe a couple of feet slide to the outside of the turn.

Cost is only about $150 and installation took maybe 15 minutes. This is a MUST HAVE for any SS.

I also have the Stage 1 kit on my car and this is the second 'must have'. If you can have almost 40 extra horsepower, and a lot more torque, for maybe $700, why not?

I once owned a 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR. This is probably the best handling street car ever made. The HHR SS, with the mods I've made, compares very favorably, considering it's front wheel drive only. I would say it's maybe 90% as good. Quite a testament to the guys at Chevy Performance.

And, of course, the HHR has the stock hi performance Michelin All Season tires. The EVO had summer only performance tires and they were a bit bigger at 245. When I eventually wear out the stock tires I will fit Summer Only performance tires. Anyone have any idea what's the best ones to fit?

I had Michelin Pilot Sports on my Dodge Viper and they were superb. If they make sizes to fit the HHR, I will probably fit those.

Anyway, GREAT car, UNBELIEVABLE PRICE. I'm very, very happy with it.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Deceased

Sometimes its the simple changes that make the biggest difference, glad you found one that makes such a big difference for not much money.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

I have the TTR also, it's a great addition to the stock suspension. There is one out there called xxx that I may try next. I have had 4 different tires on it. Only one was summer tire, potenza 760's very good dry traction, extremely quiet.
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Thank you for this great review!

Now try the Upper Engine mount, another great addition to reduce wheel hop, increase throttle responce, avoid breaking exhaust flex joints, and looks much better than the stock mount!
Old 09-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Premium Member

What He said is true
Old 09-21-2011, 10:52 AM

Installed the TTR rear sway bar two weeks ago, very nice. I'm guessing you have an auto by the HP increase you got over stock, definitely get the solid engine mount an easy install. Make sure you have deep well metric sockets and a swivel joint then you don't need to remove the air box.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

.92 on the G-meter!!!! Holy crap! Mine has only hit about .6ish. And yes I have the TTR sway bar and engine mount.I must drive like an old lady.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
.92 on the G-meter!!!! Holy crap! Mine has only hit about .6ish. And yes I have the TTR sway bar and engine mount.I must drive like an old lady.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by commonsense
I had Michelin Pilot Sports on my Dodge Viper and they were superb. If they make sizes to fit the HHR, I will probably fit those.
These tires ARE pretty damn good. I had a test-drive in a Camaro SS Convertible a few weeks back, and was just amazed at the lateral grip the car had, so I had to see what the tires were - Pilot Sports. I'm a former auto-crosser, and don't really go easy on test drives, but those tires worked really well on a heavy car, so I would support that decision.

The reigning summer street tire for autocross is the Dunlop Star Spec, which I think is only available at Tire Rack. They are also grip stars, if you will.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:20 PM

I'm running Continental Extreme Contact DW tires right now (225/45/18). Coming from one who has the GM upgrade, every bolt-on there is available, and more: I've yet to be able to severely break traction on these tires. With the stock Michelins I'd spin in 1st and 2nd, then catch traction as the tranny shifted into 3rd. Now, they'll chirp in 1st then grab and go. Great ride in dry and wet conditions and they stay planted in high speed corners. Give them a try. If you don't like them, Continental will take them back up to 60 days after purchase. I got mine from the Tire Rack.

Later
Allex

Quick Reply: Single Biggest Improvement