HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Clutch Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 12:12 PM

Clutch Help

Looking to get a new clutch and need some help on which one to get. I've done all the mod's I was planning on doing and I'm not planning on upgrading the turbo atm. I'm looking at just getting the Spec stage 3 clutch over the stage 3+ and would like to know if anyone is running the stage 3 and if you like it? It's about a $175.00 difference bewteen the two and the torque ratings accoring to Spec are listed below. I don't think I'll come close to 500 ft.lbs of torque and I'm on my second stock clutch and it's slipping again only get about 20k on it lol. Also do I need to change the flywheel when upgrading to a spec clutch or will it work with the stock one? Thanks

Also what else should I need when replacing the clutch?

Stage 3 SC073-3
Stage 3+ SC073F-3
Torque Capacity: (495 stage 3) 550 stage 3+
Old 08-31-2011, 12:44 PM

Second clutch slipping already? You're doing something wrong or your flywheel is warped. I doubt a Stage 3 will cure you.

You'll just end up glazing a $500+ clutch.
There are a ton of discussions about the clutch stages at cobaltss.net
Old 08-31-2011, 12:45 PM

I'm in the clutch buisness and here is my take as I am not too familiar with SPEC. Anybody who is painting thier clutches like SPEC or Centerforce is just hiding the fact that they are passing off inferior parts for "race specification". I would look for someother sources from companies like LUK, Sachs, Valeo.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by nacademus
Second clutch slipping already? You're doing something wrong or your flywheel is warped. I doubt a Stage 3 will cure you.

You'll just end up glazing a $500+ clutch.
There are a ton of discussions about the clutch stages at cobaltss.net
Don't think I'm doing it wrong other than 27 psi pulls in second and third just don't think the stock clutch likes them very much and I was warned by vince that my tune will cause me clutch problems. I'll check over at coblalt ss but would rather here from HHR SS drivers . Barfan1 I'll look into the companies you listed below just want something to hold up better. Never had it dyno'd but figure tq is around 375 or so
Old 08-31-2011, 01:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Get the "+" series, do NOT get the non "+"

The non "+" is a "puck" design and chatters, and does not hold like the "+" does. The "+" is a full face disc, does not chatter and holds MUCH better.

You pay for what you get.

If you are around 375 HP you will want the SPEC 3+, flat out the SPEC 3 will not hold/last long.

We will price match/beat most all places on SPEC, just PM us if we are not the lowest with a link of the place you would like us to match/beat.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member

He may have 375 HP, but he doesn't say so. He mentioned torque at 375.

Just thought to mention it, so YOU can help him out better.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Former Sponsor

It is all about the torque actually more than the HP.

Anything over 300 torque in the Cobalt world you will want a 3+, the stage 3 are not good. Less than 300 torque get the 2+.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:48 PM

Jonboyb and myself are trying to get competition clutch to design a clutch for the lnf using my hhr. they (hopefully) will be doing a complete kit with clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, slave cylinder/tob. It is said to be around the same price as their genesis kit at $800. Unfortunately they are tied up with a new client....underground racing....designing clutches to withstand over 1500hp for their twin turbo vipers and gallardos. They are a local company to atlanta and tons of cars out here use their clutches and I can honestly say I have nevr heard anything bad about their products over a broad spectrum of applications.

Jonboyb has used their products in many high hp applications and can attest to their quality. I will post up more as this develops further. Any interest or feedback may help the timeline some.

Edit: I'm wanting to get a holding capacity somewhere around 550 ft/lbs but we will see....I'm sure there will be a couple options for tq capacity
Old 08-31-2011, 04:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Competition clutch is a very good brand, it will be months it sounds like before they are out. We will carry the Comp clutch when it is release at that time. Good info!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:09 AM
Banned

Exedy HyperSingle

Quick Reply: Clutch Help