Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   HHR SS (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/)
-   -   SS tire pressures (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/ss-tire-pressures-37145/)

optwovettes 08-25-2011 07:55 PM

SS tire pressures

Picked up an SS panel the other day and noticed the door sticker is gone. What is the spec tire pressure for this car?

thanks in advance

ATLsilverSS 08-25-2011 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by optwovettes (Post 586019)
Picked up an SS panel the other day and noticed the door sticker is gone. What is the spec tire pressure for this car?

thanks in advance

think it depends on the tires doesn't it? my pilot sport a/s are 36psi i believe. check the sidewall....it should be there

LawDog88 08-25-2011 08:10 PM

30psi is what you should have day to day.. any more and you burn rubber, any less and the system tells you you have low tire pressure.

Congratz on the SS Panel. :thumb:

Maven 08-25-2011 08:11 PM

Tire pressures for your vehicle are NOT on the sidewall.

Sidecardog1 08-25-2011 08:25 PM

According to GM, the pressure for the 2010 SS is 32psi. According to Michelin, you must increase it according to their chart for speeds above 125. You can go to Chevy's website and lookup the Owners Manual for your particular car.

Tominator 08-25-2011 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Maven (Post 586028)

Stick with 32PSI...... recommended by GM and that pressure is for ANY tire!

Here we go again....:wink:

Unless you are driving over 125MPH...

ATLsilverSS 08-25-2011 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Maven (Post 586028)

ok richard.....the max pressure is on the sidewall:twothumbs:

Maven 08-25-2011 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by ATLsilverSS (Post 586047)
ok richard.....the max pressure is on the sidewall:twothumbs:

Not being a dick.....just making a point. Many people believe the pressure on the sidewall is the recommended tire pressure. But thats the MAX pressure, so inflating to the at pressure just guarantees that you will be running your tires with pressures exceeding what they (and they vehicle) are intended to be run at.

SCE_HHR 08-26-2011 12:24 AM

which is why on the sidewall it says "MAX" pressure.

hyperv6 08-26-2011 05:51 AM

Pressures can vary. Under normal driving the door pressures are there to give the best ride and wear. Often you have to go up a little if you carry more load and or plan to drive a lot faster.

Increase loads and speed can increae tire temps and more pressure can keep the temps down. Also you can tune with tire pressures to adjust for loads and driving habits.

What I do is start out at the recomended pressures and adjust from there. If I see more wear on the outside of the tire I add a little air as the tire may be rolling under and scuffing. If I see the center wear I let some out as it has too much preesure and it will bow the center to make it wear.

There is not one pressure for everyone and you need to read the tires.

Also might note I tend to carry 35 in mine because they do not show any poor wear and with the bad roads it gives me a little more protection on the rims. The 18's don't have a lot of room to spare and a couple extra pounds may save a rim ding.

Note too if you change from an OE tire the pressures also may need to change depending on the tire.

Start where GM recomends and go from there. Just don't go over the 44 PSI on the side wall. You should really not have to go that high unless you really load the car down. At that point you have other things to worry about.

Note too I often run a few pounds more in the front vs the rear just for better wear since the fronts carry most of the load and the rear don't.

There is no right or wrong just what works for you if you stay in the limits. I just take the time to read the tires and try to get the most miles out of them.